IE5 and iframes

Discussion in 'HTML' started by angel_islington, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm having a problem with an Iframe in IE5.

    Basically we've got a pop-out div on a DHTML nav, the div occasionally drops
    over a select box and in most of the modern browsers the windowed select
    shows through the div as it doesn't listen to the z-index on the div.

    I've found that placing an iframe under the div and setting the iframe to
    the div's size works nicely and eclipses the select control. BUT. IE5 on
    both the mac and pc treat iframes as windowed controls. This means that the
    iframe shows over our div making the workaround work against us. Thankfully
    IE5 also treats select boxes as windowless controls which means we can just
    pop the div over them.

    As a result of this happy co-incidence of design I can just omit the iframe
    in the case of the navigator being IE5. I'd much rather be able to check if
    the browser treats iframes in the way IE5 does in case other browsers do the
    same.

    Is it possible to test for a property or method in the DOM that tells me how
    an Iframe is treat by that browser. I've scoured a number of discussion
    groups and I get vague suggestions of solutions but nothing concrete.

    Any advice gratefully received.

    angel_islington, Feb 18, 2004

  2. angel_islington

    Steve R. Guest

    angel_islington wrote in message ...
    > I'm having a problem with an Iframe in IE5.

    URL of your *problem* page please ?

    Much easier to analyse then :~)

    Steve R., Feb 18, 2004