IE5 and iframes

angel_islington

Hi,

I'm having a problem with an Iframe in IE5.

Basically we've got a pop-out div on a DHTML nav, the div occasionally drops
over a select box and in most of the modern browsers the windowed select
shows through the div as it doesn't listen to the z-index on the div.

I've found that placing an iframe under the div and setting the iframe to
the div's size works nicely and eclipses the select control. BUT. IE5 on
both the mac and pc treat iframes as windowed controls. This means that the
iframe shows over our div making the workaround work against us. Thankfully
IE5 also treats select boxes as windowless controls which means we can just
pop the div over them.

As a result of this happy co-incidence of design I can just omit the iframe
in the case of the navigator being IE5. I'd much rather be able to check if
the browser treats iframes in the way IE5 does in case other browsers do the
same.

Is it possible to test for a property or method in the DOM that tells me how
an Iframe is treat by that browser. I've scoured a number of discussion
groups and I get vague suggestions of solutions but nothing concrete.

Any advice gratefully received.