IE5 Mac

chlori

Hi

I'm having trouble with IE5 (Mac)...

I tested the following Site on Windows (XP+2k) with IE3,
IE5, IE6, Moz1.6, Firebird 0.6, Opera 7.21(?), ...

http://www.openeye.ch/index
user: "new"
pass: "blue"

A friend using IE5 (Mac) sent me these screenshots:

http://www.openeye.ch/infos1.jpg
http://www.openeye.ch/home1.jpg

The content text begins under the menu on the left. With all
other browsers I tested the content text begins nicely at
the top (right under the red part).

Can anyone tell what I have to do to change it so that it
looks right in IE (Mac)?

(I know the site still has some errors when validating. I
will correct them as soon as possible. But I'm quite sure
they are not causing the problem. CSS should be valid.)

Thanks
chlori

Steve Pugh

chlori said:
I'm having trouble with IE5 (Mac)...

I tested the following Site on Windows (XP+2k) with IE3,
IE5, IE6, Moz1.6, Firebird 0.6, Opera 7.21(?), ...

http://www.openeye.ch/index
user: "new"
pass: "blue"

A friend using IE5 (Mac) sent me these screenshots:

http://www.openeye.ch/infos1.jpg
http://www.openeye.ch/home1.jpg

The content text begins under the menu on the left. With all
other browsers I tested the content text begins nicely at
the top (right under the red part).

You haven't set a width for #menu. Under CSS 2 rules all floated
elements must have a width specified (this changes in CSS 2.1). In its
absence all other browsers shrink floated elements around their
contents but Mac IE sets the width of the floated element to 100%,
hence no room for anything to float alongside it.

Steve

chlori

Steve Pugh schrieb am 16.04.2004 11:37:
You haven't set a width for #menu. Under CSS 2 rules all floated
elements must have a width specified (this changes in CSS 2.1). In its
absence all other browsers shrink floated elements around their
contents but Mac IE sets the width of the floated element to 100%,
hence no room for anything to float alongside it.

Thanks for the quick answer!

I added "width: 9em;" to the CSS (and didn't see a change in
Mozilla). Does anyone have Mac IE and could show me a
screencap or tell me if it works right now?

chlori

Phil Roberts

With total disregard for any kind of safety measures chlori
I added "width: 9em;" to the CSS (and didn't see a change in
Mozilla). Does anyone have Mac IE and could show me a
screencap or tell me if it works right now?

chlori

Looks fine under OS9/MacIE5 now. I'd take a screenshot but it's my
housemates Mac and I've no idea how!

chlori

Phil Roberts schrieb am 16.04.2004 12:16:
Looks fine under OS9/MacIE5 now. I'd take a screenshot but it's my
housemates Mac and I've no idea how!

Good news for me, thanks!

chlori

Dennis M. Marks

[QUOTE="chlori said:
Looks fine under OS9/MacIE5 now. I'd take a screenshot but it's my
housemates Mac and I've no idea how!

Good news for me, thanks!

chlori[/QUOTE]
Apple-Shift-3

Phil Roberts

With total disregard for any kind of safety measures Toby A
Macs are so intuitive aren't they?

"prt scr" is hardly a masterpiece of obviousnous either.

Xavier Perseguers

Edwin van der Vaart

Xavier said:

Do something about your sig.
I hate to remove the sig manually ;)

Toby A Inkster

Xavier said:
You guys from Macs don't know that a file should always have an
extension !

I'm not "from Macs", but I do use Linux. And even on Windows and DOS, file
names do not *require* an extension.

Also, URLs on the web do not neccessarily correspond to files. The data at
the end of a URL is just an HTTP stream -- not strictly a file.

Dennis M. Marks

You guys from Macs don't know that a file should always have an
extension ! A picture like the one you posted should be named
printscreen.png... :)
<snip>

The Mac has always had the file type build into the file. Files can be
named anything. Something called aaa.exe can be a jpg file with no
problem.

Files on the internet should have an extension to be compatible with
all computers. The Mac looks at the file extension and creates an
internal file type using an extension called file exchange.

One thing that can be confusing is that the word extension on the Mac
refers to a background system program and not the three character
suffix.

Eric B. Bednarz

Xavier Perseguers said:

Oh please.
You guys from Macs

Erm. What did Toby do that you need to resort to insults?
don't know that a file should always have an
extension !

An URI reference is not a file. But you guys from Losedoze are probably
so used to mystery meat handling of MIME types that *any* details don't
matter.
A picture like the one you posted should be named
printscreen.png... :)

FWIW, it *is* _named_ printscreen.png. Toby might have switched
multiviews on to provide plain text files with ascii art instead to UAs
that cannot handle PNG in the near future ('near future' being the time
when M$ fixes the accept header of its OS component).