    http://flickr.com/photos/nomads_land/958026355/

    I can get the content to kinda appear correctly with zoom:1 added to
    the h3 tag and p tag, but I was hoping for a better workaround.
    Emergence, Jul 31, 2007

  2. Emergence

    BootNic Guest

    > Emergence <> wrote:
    > I have been working on this site for a while and it just won't display
    > correctly in ie6, I've been working on fixing this issue for that last
    > day or so and am getting tired of it. Figured you guys might be throw
    > some new ideas my way. Anyways the site would be
    > http://www.curepity.org/default.cfm/PID=1.1.8
    > what is should look like
    > http://flickr.com/photos/nomads_land/957463627/
    > what it looks like in ie6
    > http://flickr.com/photos/nomads_land/958026355/
    >
    > I can get the content to kinda appear correctly with zoom:1 added to
    > the h3 tag and p tag, but I was hoping for a better workaround.

    Have you tried to add
    * { line-height:1.3;}
    to your css?

    --
    BootNic Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:31 AM

    Inform all the troops that communications have completely broken
    down.
    *Ashleigh Brilliant*
    BootNic, Jul 31, 2007

  3. BootNic wrote:
    >> Emergence <> wrote:
    >> I have been working on this site for a while and it just won't display
    >> correctly in ie6, I've been working on fixing this issue for that last
    >> day or so and am getting tired of it. Figured you guys might be throw
    >> some new ideas my way. Anyways the site would be
    >> http://www.curepity.org/default.cfm/PID=1.1.8
    >> what is should look like
    >> http://flickr.com/photos/nomads_land/957463627/
    >> what it looks like in ie6
    >> http://flickr.com/photos/nomads_land/958026355/
    >>
    >> I can get the content to kinda appear correctly with zoom:1 added to
    >> the h3 tag and p tag, but I was hoping for a better workaround.

    > Have you tried to add
    > * { line-height:1.3;}
    > to your css?

    I can confirm that in most cases setting the line-height to *any* value
    and not relying on IE's default usually cures the IE Peekaboo bug and a
    number of other IE float problems...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 31, 2007
  4. Emergence wrote:

    > I have been working on this site for a while and it just won't display
    > correctly in ie6, I've been working on fixing this issue for that
    > last day or so and am getting tired of it. Figured you guys might be
    > throw some new ideas my way. Anyways the site would be
    > http://www.curepity.org/default.cfm/PID=1.1.8

    I believe it would help your cause greatly if you would write error-free
    markup to start. You also want to use a DOCTYPE that does not throw IE
    (and other browsers) into quirks mode. Use:

    ...instead of your partial Transitional doctype.

    See your errors here:
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.curepity.org%2Fdefault.cfm%2FPID%3D1.1.8>
    "Failed validation, 41 Errors"

    You are also mixing HTML 4.0, HTML 4.01, and XHTML, never a good start.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 31, 2007
  5. Emergence

    Emergence Guest

    Trust me if I could I would rewire the entire thing into a strict
    form, but I am working with old code for a company and so much of the
    code gets called in from other pages that becomes a headache
    occasionally. Yes I did check my errors the section of code where I
    have done has no errors but everything else does, such a distress.
    Emergence, Jul 31, 2007
  6. Emergence wrote:

    > Trust me if I could I would rewire the entire thing into a strict
    > form, but I am working with old code for a company and so much of the
    > code gets called in from other pages that becomes a headache
    > occasionally. Yes I did check my errors the section of code where I
    > have done has no errors but everything else does, such a distress.

    Do you have control over what doctype is used? If you want to remain as
    Traditional (probably ok as you now describe the page as "old code"
    instead of a new effort), at least use a complete one.

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

    With the mix you have, you'll have little success getting browsers to
    agree on how to display it. Have you seen these pages yet?

    http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html
    http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/threepxtest.html

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 31, 2007
  7. Emergence

    Emergence Guest

    I've been reworking a lot of there old code and if I do come across
    the area where you can change the doctype I will be doing that as soon
    as I can but for now I have to bide my time, a lot of sites to
    reconfigure settings for along my other responsibilities. I did get
    the page fixed with the line-height, just had to reconfigure some of
    my other line-heights as well, thanks for your help.
    Emergence, Jul 31, 2007
  8. Emergence

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <JmHri.385140$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Have you seen these pages yet?
    >
    > http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html

    "Note: This long standing bug has been suppressed in IE7
    (released in late 2006), so the Peekaboo Bug is finally on the
    way out."

    How's that for a lingering prejudice against MS browsers!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 31, 2007
  9. On 2007-07-31, dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    ><JmHri.385140$>,
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Have you seen these pages yet?
    >>
    >> http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html

    > "Note: This long standing bug has been suppressed in IE7
    > (released in late 2006), so the Peekaboo Bug is finally on the
    > way out."
    >
    > How's that for a lingering prejudice against MS browsers!

    There's no prejudice at all. It is a judgement based on an
    examination the features and bugs of IE.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Aug 1, 2007
  10. Emergence

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:

    > On 2007-07-31, dorayme wrote:
    > > In article
    > ><JmHri.385140$>,
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Have you seen these pages yet?
    > >>
    > >> http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html

    > > "Note: This long standing bug has been suppressed in IE7
    > > (released in late 2006), so the Peekaboo Bug is finally on the
    > > way out."
    > >
    > > How's that for a lingering prejudice against MS browsers!

    > There's no prejudice at all. It is a judgement based on an
    > examination the features and bugs of IE.

    You have missed my point completely.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 1, 2007
  11. Emergence

    John Hosking Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-07-31, dorayme wrote:
    >>> In article
    >>> <JmHri.385140$>,

    >>> "Note: This long standing bug has been suppressed in IE7
    >>> (released in late 2006), so the Peekaboo Bug is finally on the
    >>> way out."
    >>>
    >>> How's that for a lingering prejudice against MS browsers!

    >> There's no prejudice at all. It is a judgement based on an
    >> examination the features and bugs of IE.

    > You have missed my point completely.

    So have I. You lost me on this one, dorayme.

    --
    John
    John Hosking, Aug 1, 2007
  12. Emergence

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 01 Aug 2007 00:22:56 GMT
    Chris F.A. Johnson scribed:

    > On 2007-07-31, dorayme wrote:
    >> In article
    >><JmHri.385140$>,
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have you seen these pages yet?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html

    >> "Note: This long standing bug has been suppressed in IE7
    >> (released in late 2006), so the Peekaboo Bug is finally on the
    >> way out."
    >>
    >> How's that for a lingering prejudice against MS browsers!

    > There's no prejudice at all. It is a judgement based on an
    > examination the features and bugs of IE.

    ....And they said you didn't have a sense of humor.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 1, 2007
  13. Emergence

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    John Hosking <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,

    > >> There's no prejudice at all. It is a judgement based on an
    > >> examination the features and bugs of IE.

    > > You have missed my point completely.

    > So have I. You lost me on this one, dorayme.

    OK, John. Been feeling awkward and cussed lately. But something
    just went right with my work and my mood has lifted.

    There are three pictures to paint in the absence of real
    knowledge of the code behind IE7, two of them exist in the real
    world and one in Alice's.

    (1) The bug is not there.

    (2) The bug is there.

    (3) The bug is there and not there.

    One could say that which one chooses - in the absence of real MS
    code knowledge - would be influenced by one's emotions, one's
    prejudices and passions. These are hot things that can sway the
    normally cool brain.

    If one chooses (1), then, well... it does not have the bug. The
    bug is not there. It does not exist in IE7. It is not
    "suppressed" or "on the way out". It is gone. There is no bug to
    be ex or pro or ante or pre or on the way in or out or anything.
    It is not there lurking suppressed. It is not there with some big
    guys holding it down or in a locked petri dish immersed with bug
    anaesthetic in some corner of IE7. It is not any kind of bug.
    There is no such bug. The unprejudiced or unscarred mind would
    simply describe the situation as one where the software is
    that-particular-bug-free.

    Now, the prejudiced mind, especially the one with some brain
    power, will obviously not choose (2). It would love to choose (2)
    if it thought it could get away with it. But the average
    prejudiced schmuck (as we all are at times) does not like his
    schmuckery revealed too openly. Clearly, to choose (2) without
    qualification would endanger a standing as a non-schmuck.

    So, what to do? It is not too hard. Remember, we are talking
    about schmucks with some brains. Obvious, my dear Watson, you
    sort of try paint a picture where the odium of (2) is still there
    without actually saying it is there full stop. Hence the handy
    (3) comes into the picture.

    OK, I hear you say, but (3) is a self-contradiction and the
    schmuck in question has brains. He is not going to openly embrace
    a contradiction. (Schmucks have an unreasonably paranoid fear of
    contradiction. Sure, these are not nice things, but there are
    worse things. Schmucks have no sense of perspective or
    proportion. They are always going too far. They can rave on and
    on.). You would be right in this John. Dead right! No, the
    schmuck would not publicly and openly embrace (3).

    The trick is to embrace (3) but hide it in a wrapper, that's
    where the talk of "suppressing" and "on the way out" comes in.

    Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say something without
    interruption. I feel better now.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 1, 2007
  14. Emergence

    John Hosking Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > John Hosking <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> You have missed my point completely.

    >> So have I. You lost me on this one, dorayme.

    > There are three pictures to paint in the absence of real
    > knowledge of the code behind IE7, two of them exist in the real
    > world and one in Alice's.

    [Three elaborately painted pictures (complete with large ornate frames
    and little lights to illuminate the artwork) snipped]

    > Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say something without
    > interruption. I feel better now.

    Martian painters 1, Earthlings 0 ;-)

    --
    John
    John Hosking, Aug 1, 2007
  15. Emergence

    Emergence Guest

    Didn't think this topic wouldn't fuel such an argument. Last I
    remember Microsoft said they realized they haven't been following the
    standards as well as they should be and are working towards a better
    job at becoming standardized. Now if only I could find that article.
    Emergence, Aug 2, 2007
  16. Emergence

    andrew Guest

    On 2007-07-31, Emergence <> wrote:
    > I've been reworking a lot of there old code and if I do come across
    > the area where you can change the doctype I will be doing that as soon
    > as I can...

    Its at the very top :)

    Andrew

    --
    "The band! the speckled band!" whispered Holmes.
    andrew, Aug 2, 2007