IE6 Shows Element Under Div Despite z-index Order Set

Discussion in 'HTML' started by VUNETdotUS, Nov 4, 2007.

  1. VUNETdotUS

    VUNETdotUS Guest

    VUNETdotUS, Nov 4, 2007

  2. VUNETdotUS

    rf Guest

    "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Why IE6 shows absolutely positioned links under div, even if z-index
    > or order is applied?
    > Please, suggest a fix:
    > http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/ztop.asp - mouseover My Test link

    For IE you must specify the z-index for both the ul *and* the li that
    contains it.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 4, 2007

  3. VUNETdotUS

    VUNETdotUS Guest

    On Nov 3, 11:59 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    > > Why IE6 shows absolutely positioned links under div, even if z-index
    > > or order is applied?
    > > Please, suggest a fix:
    > >http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/ztop.asp- mouseover My Test link

    > For IE you must specify the z-index for both the ul *and* the li that
    > contains it.
    >
    > --
    > Richard.

    thanks, I've just assigned z-index to all elements and there is no fix
    to my problem.
    any other ideas/suggestions?
    thanks again

    VUNETdotUS, Nov 5, 2007
  4. VUNETdotUS

    VUNETdotUS Guest

    On Nov 3, 11:59 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    > > Why IE6 shows absolutely positioned links under div, even if z-index
    > > or order is applied?
    > > Please, suggest a fix:
    > >http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/ztop.asp- mouseover My Test link

    > For IE you must specify the z-index for both the ul *and* the li that
    > contains it.
    >
    > --
    > Richard.

    ok. a bit more playing with z-index and we are done. it is fixed.
    thanks

    VUNETdotUS, Nov 5, 2007
  5. VUNETdotUS

    > On Nov 3, 11:59 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    >> > Why IE6 shows absolutely positioned links under div, even if z-index
    >> > or order is applied?
    >> > Please, suggest a fix:
    >> >http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/ztop.asp- mouseover My Test link

    >> For IE you must specify the z-index for both the ul *and* the li that
    >> contains it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Richard.

    > ok. a bit more playing with z-index and we are done. it is fixed.

    I was just about to tell you so :)

    Does not work at all in IE7 though.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 5, 2007
  6. VUNETdotUS

    VUNETdotUS Guest

    On Nov 4, 11:11 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    > > On Nov 3, 11:59 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > >> "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    > >> For IE you must specify the z-index for both the ul *and* the li that
    > >> contains it.

    > >> --
    > >> Richard.

    > > ok. a bit more playing with z-index and we are done. it is fixed.

    > I was just about to tell you so :)
    >
    > Does not work at all in IE7 though.
    >
    > --
    > Richard.

    hm... The test case does not work in IE7 but my real code works. I
    will compare to find what is missing in test case. Thanks for noticing.

    VUNETdotUS, Nov 5, 2007
  7. VUNETdotUS

    VUNETdotUS Guest

    On Nov 4, 11:11 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    > > On Nov 3, 11:59 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > >> "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    > >> For IE you must specify the z-index for both the ul *and* the li that
    > >> contains it.

    > >> --
    > >> Richard.

    > > ok. a bit more playing with z-index and we are done. it is fixed.

    > I was just about to tell you so :)
    >
    > Does not work at all in IE7 though.
    >
    > --
    > Richard.

    I cannot believe this... It works in IE7 if I add

    Can anyone explain?

    VUNETdotUS, Nov 5, 2007
  8. VUNETdotUS

    VUNETdotUS Guest

    On Nov 4, 11:11 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    > > On Nov 3, 11:59 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > >> "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    > >> For IE you must specify the z-index for both the ul *and* the li that
    > >> contains it.

    > >> --
    > >> Richard.

    > > ok. a bit more playing with z-index and we are done. it is fixed.

    > I was just about to tell you so :)
    >
    > Does not work at all in IE7 though.
    >
    > --
    > Richard.

    Another IE problem: pop-up menu has spaces between each ul-li box and
    when mouseover-moving slowly between them, menu may disappear. Any
    possible suggestions? Thanks.

    VUNETdotUS, Nov 5, 2007
  9. VUNETdotUS wrote:
    > On Nov 4, 11:11 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    >>> ok. a bit more playing with z-index and we are done. it is fixed.

    >> I was just about to tell you so :)
    >>
    >> Does not work at all in IE7 though.

    Your csshover.htc seems a bit complicated. I have a simpler version that
    I adapted from Vladdy...demonstrated on a mouseover effect on the images
    of this page:

    http://www.littleworksstudio.com/CSTC2007.php
    The Canadian Scottish Terrier Club 2007 Fundraiser

    All you have to do is add the MS proprietary CSS property

    behavior: url(IEFixes.htc);

    on whatever element that you want to hover, you can restrict it to just
    the class subset of elements to the HTC doesn't scan the whole DOM

    UL.menu { behavior: url(IEFixes.htc); }

    then for whatever your hovered element is add the special .hover class
    for IE

    UL.menu:hover,
    UL.menu.hover { ...}

    The file IEFixes.htc:

    <public:component>
    // For MSIE use JScript to attach JS functions to compensate
    // for missing pseudo-class support
    // from Vladdy http://www.vladdy.net/Demos/IEPseudoClassesFix.html
    // updated for html4.01 jnl 3/06
    <public:attach event="onmouseover" onevent="DoHover()">
    <public:attach event="onmouseout" onevent="RestoreHover()">
    <public:attach event="onmousedown" onevent="DoActive()">
    <public:attach event="onmouseup" onevent="RestoreActive()">
    <script type="text/jscript">
    function DoHover(){
    element.className += ' hover';
    }
    function DoActive(){
    element.className += ' active';
    }
    function RestoreHover(){
    element.className = element.className.replace(/\shover\b/,'');
    }
    function RestoreActive(){
    element.className = element.className.replace(/\sactive\b/,'');
    }
    </script>
    </public:component>

    --