ie6 won't keep session for local intranet site

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rob Locher, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Rob Locher

    Rob Locher Guest

    I have a server running NT 4 Server that is on my local domain that
    hosts an ASP application. I have a problem: when I try to test the
    ASP application from a computer on the same domain running IE6 on
    Windows 2000, the browser will not store the session key. Computers
    running other versions of Internet Explorer store the session key.
    When I host the application on a Windows 2000 server also on the local
    domain, the same test computer with Windows 2000 and Internet Explorer
    version 6 stores the session key just fine.

    I have tested the problem thoroughly. I have also done a thorough
    Knowledge Base and newsgroup search, with no luck. I can think of no
    way around the problem besides rewriting all 200 ASP pages to use some
    other persistence mechanism besides the Session object.

    Yes, I have verified that the site really is on the Local Intranet. I
    also have followed the directions in Knowledge Base article 302831 to
    verify that there are no per-site privacy settings for local intranet
    sites. I have tried moving that site to the Trusted Sites zone from
    the Local Intranet zone. Nothing has worked.

    I could really use some help!
    Rob Locher, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Rob Locher

    Ray at Guest

    Are other cookies stored okay? Perhaps there's an IE issue. Run the IE
    repair tool or reinstall IE.

    Ray at home

    --
    Will trade ASP help for SQL Server help

    Ray at, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Rob Locher

    Mark Schupp Guest

    does the server name have an underscore in it?
    If so, IE 6 (and IE5 with up to date security patches) will not send session
    cookies to it because it does not have a valid name (underscores are illegal
    in TCP/IP host names).

    You will need to set up an alias name in DNS or WINS.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    --

    http://www.ielearning.com
    714.637.9480 x17

    Mark Schupp, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Rob Locher

    Rob Locher Guest

    Mark, you were absolutely correct. It was in fact the underscore in
    the server name. I don't know you, but I'm telling all the techies I
    know what a swell guy you are! Thank you thank you thank you! If you
    ever come to San Diego, drop me an email and I will be delighted to
    buy you a beverage at your convenience.

    - Rob

    "Mark Schupp" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > does the server name have an underscore in it?
    > If so, IE 6 (and IE5 with up to date security patches) will not send session
    > cookies to it because it does not have a valid name (underscores are illegal
    > in TCP/IP host names).
    >
    > You will need to set up an alias name in DNS or WINS.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Schupp
    > --
    > Head of Development