ie6 won't keep session for local intranet site

Rob Locher

I have a server running NT 4 Server that is on my local domain that
hosts an ASP application. I have a problem: when I try to test the
ASP application from a computer on the same domain running IE6 on
Windows 2000, the browser will not store the session key. Computers
running other versions of Internet Explorer store the session key.
When I host the application on a Windows 2000 server also on the local
domain, the same test computer with Windows 2000 and Internet Explorer
version 6 stores the session key just fine.

I have tested the problem thoroughly. I have also done a thorough
Knowledge Base and newsgroup search, with no luck. I can think of no
way around the problem besides rewriting all 200 ASP pages to use some
other persistence mechanism besides the Session object.

Yes, I have verified that the site really is on the Local Intranet. I
also have followed the directions in Knowledge Base article 302831 to
verify that there are no per-site privacy settings for local intranet
sites. I have tried moving that site to the Trusted Sites zone from
the Local Intranet zone. Nothing has worked.

I could really use some help!

Ray at

Are other cookies stored okay? Perhaps there's an IE issue. Run the IE
repair tool or reinstall IE.

Ray at home

Mark Schupp

does the server name have an underscore in it?
If so, IE 6 (and IE5 with up to date security patches) will not send session
cookies to it because it does not have a valid name (underscores are illegal
in TCP/IP host names).

You will need to set up an alias name in DNS or WINS.

--
Mark Schupp
--

Rob Locher

Mark, you were absolutely correct. It was in fact the underscore in
the server name. I don't know you, but I'm telling all the techies I
know what a swell guy you are! Thank you thank you thank you! If you
ever come to San Diego, drop me an email and I will be delighted to
buy you a beverage at your convenience.

- Rob

Mark Schupp said:
does the server name have an underscore in it?
If so, IE 6 (and IE5 with up to date security patches) will not send session
cookies to it because it does not have a valid name (underscores are illegal
in TCP/IP host names).

You will need to set up an alias name in DNS or WINS.

--
Mark Schupp
--
Head of Development