IE6 & Word 2002 ... session not inherited?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Chris J, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Chris J

    Chris J Guest

    Hi all,

    [[ X-Posted as wasn't sure which group'd be better to ask ]]

    I'm having a problem with Word 2002 when downloading a Word document with
    IE6. This is in an intranet application, and the download occurs through an
    ASP that does security checks (amongst other things) before passing the
    document back to the client.

    What seems to be happening is that, when the ASP sets a content-type of
    application/msword, Internet Explorer starts Word and passes it the URL of
    the document, and Word then tries to download the document directory. This
    causes a problem as Word does not seem to get any of the session information
    about the login, so is denied access to the file. The preferred behaviour
    would be either for IE6 to download the file, and pass a temporary filename
    to Word, or for Word to inherit the session so the download succeeds.

    If I use a machine that does not have office installed, or choose "Save"
    rather than "Open" when IE6 prompts for an action, then the document is
    downloaded sucessfully and displayed embedded within IE6 without any
    problem, indicating that IE6 is handling the download of the document rather
    than Word. Thus I know the underlying ASP itself doesn't have any obvious
    problems.

    Has anyone got a solution for this? I've come across old (circa. 2002) posts
    in Google regarding similar problems, but no solution seems to be
    forthcoming. Q314535 on the MSDN details the same/similar problem with
    Powerpoint, but I've not seen a related one for Word.

    This has been tested with vanilla Office 2002, and also, SP1, SP2 and SP3
    with IE6 SP1 (+ Q810847, Q813951) on XP Pro SP1.

    Cheers,

    Chris...

    Chris J, Jan 7, 2005