IE7 comments?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Noozer, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
    it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?
    Noozer, Mar 25, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Noozer

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Noozer finally
    proclaimed:

    > Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet?


    Yes.

    > Any comments to how it improves upon IE6?


    The CSS support was better, but overall I found it slow and sluggish to
    use. The main problem that I had with it was that the interface had
    changed so much that it really wasn't nice - there were buttons all over
    the place, and several in locations that I wasn't expecting to find
    them. Also, the graphics for the buttons looked cheap and nasty, but I
    expect that to change before the final release.

    > How does it compare to Firefox?


    It really doesn't. IMHO, Firefox/Opera/et al are still miles ahead in
    terms of usability.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://electricfreedom.org -- Where the Music Progressively Rocks!
    Dylan Parry, Mar 25, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Noozer

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Noozer wrote:

    > Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
    > it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?


    It's still pretty rubbish.

    CSS parsing has improved leaps and bounds, so most of the old hacks for
    MSIE won't work anymore. But CSS rendering hasn't improved much, so the
    old hacks would still be quite useful if they worked!

    That said, there have been a few CSS improvements that are worth
    mentioning -- for instance, fixed positioning of elements and background
    images now works properly. It's still a long way off full CSS 2.1 though.

    PNG alpha blending works and there's a native XMLHTTPRequest object (no
    ActiveX required for either of these now!)

    The interface is horrible, both graphically and usability-wise, but I
    expect they'll improve that -- after all, it's only a beta for now.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Mar 25, 2006
    #3
  4. Noozer

    Els Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Noozer wrote:
    >
    >> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
    >> it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

    >
    > It's still pretty rubbish.
    >
    > CSS parsing has improved leaps and bounds, so most of the old hacks for
    > MSIE won't work anymore. But CSS rendering hasn't improved much, so the
    > old hacks would still be quite useful if they worked!
    >
    > That said, there have been a few CSS improvements that are worth
    > mentioning -- for instance, fixed positioning of elements and background
    > images now works properly. It's still a long way off full CSS 2.1 though.


    I like the min- and max-width and -height though.
    But there's new bugs too, and IIUC they're not gonna change anything
    anymore till the release.

    > The interface is horrible, both graphically and usability-wise, but I
    > expect they'll improve that -- after all, it's only a beta for now.


    You're very optimistic...

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Changing States
    Els, Mar 25, 2006
    #4
  5. Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Noozer finally
    > proclaimed:
    >
    >> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet?

    >
    > Yes.
    >


    Any support for selectors like adjacent sibling (e.g., h2 + p) and
    attribute selectors?

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html
    Nick Theodorakis, Mar 25, 2006
    #5
  6. Noozer

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Nick
    Theodorakis finally proclaimed:

    > Any support for selectors like adjacent sibling (e.g., h2 + p) and
    > attribute selectors?


    Do you have a link to a page that demonstrates these? Then I can let you
    know :)

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://electricfreedom.org -- Where the Music Progressively Rocks!
    Dylan Parry, Mar 25, 2006
    #6
  7. You can't drag the tabs around to order them as you want like you can in
    Firefox.

    The UI layout is pugly.

    The security warning at the top of your page if you've allowed script is
    annoying.
    TheBagbournes, Mar 25, 2006
    #7
  8. Noozer

    Jim Higson Guest

    Nick Theodorakis wrote:

    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    >> Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Noozer finally
    >> proclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet?

    >>
    >> Yes.
    >>

    >
    > Any support for selectors like adjacent sibling (e.g., h2 + p) and
    > attribute selectors?


    This page suggest attribute selectors are in, since the (rather ugly) CSS
    zen style he talks about uses them to show a different style in better
    browsers.

    http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/archives/the_ie7_mix_06_release.html

    --
    Jim
    http://surfcore.co.uk
    Jim Higson, Mar 25, 2006
    #8
  9. Noozer

    Bill Guest

    Very slow, liked tabed support, very buggy atm. Lots of firms do no
    support it like online banking. Wait for windows vista

    --
    Bil

    *Kind Regards
    *Bill

    *If you found the information useful then support us by clickin
    a google advert.
    This Message Was Posted Free At: UK Webmaster Forums: http://www.ukwebmasterforums.com/ - Prodly Hosted By Session 9 Ltd http://www.session9.co.uk
    Bill, Mar 25, 2006
    #9
  10. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Noozer" <>
    writing in news:5V7Vf.177136$sa3.174239@pd7tw1no:

    > Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to
    > how it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?
    >
    >


    Yup, I tried it, and as others have said, Opera and Firefox are miles
    ahead. Heck, it can't even do mouse gestures yet.

    But, this is what I find most intesting, Microsoft Internet Explorer
    "createTextRange()" Code Execution <http://secunia.com/advisories/18680/>
    specifically:
    <quote>
    The vulnerability has been confirmed on a fully patched system with
    Internet Explorer 6.0 and Microsoft Windows XP SP2. The vulnerability has
    also been confirmed in Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview (January
    edition). Other versions may also be affected.
    </quote>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 25, 2006
    #10
  11. Noozer

    Jim Moe Guest

    Noozer wrote:
    > Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
    > it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?
    >

    Who cares? It will be at least a year before it is released especially
    since the forever-delayed Vista (4 *years* late and counting) is a black
    hole sucking up all of the coding talent at Microsoft and its subsidiaries.
    IE6 is our bane for years to come.
    IE7 will likely be a me-too browser, half a decade late, etc. It is
    interesting only in that it probably will reduce a development step:
    1. Create a page as I envision it using standards compliant browsers
    2. Hack the code until IE looks the same.

    --
    jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Mar 25, 2006
    #11
  12. Noozer

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Do you have a link to a page that demonstrates these? Then I can let you
    > know :)


    <style type="text/css">p+p{color:red}</style>
    <p>foo</p>
    <p>bar</p>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Mar 25, 2006
    #12
  13. Noozer

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *TheBagbournes* wrote:
    > You can't drag the tabs around to order them as you want like you can in
    > Firefox.
    >
    > The UI layout is pugly.
    >
    > The security warning at the top of your page if you've allowed script is
    > annoying.


    What and who are you talking about/to? This is not a web based "forum",
    it's usenet. So please, follow the standards for usenet when posting and
    replying.

    How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
    How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2

    --
    /Arne

    Why bottom-posting is better than top-posting
    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
    Arne, Mar 25, 2006
    #13
  14. Noozer

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Bill* wrote:
    > Very slow, liked tabed support, very buggy atm. Lots of firms do not
    > support it like online banking. Wait for windows vista.
    >
    >


    What and who are you talking about/to? This is not a web based "forum",
    it's usenet. So please, follow the standards for usenet when posting and
    replying.

    How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
    How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2

    --
    /Arne

    Ignoring posters who don't quote
    * How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2
    * From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/
    Arne, Mar 25, 2006
    #14
  15. Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Nick
    > Theodorakis finally proclaimed:
    >
    >> Any support for selectors like adjacent sibling (e.g., h2 + p) and
    >> attribute selectors?

    >
    > Do you have a link to a page that demonstrates these? Then I can let you
    > know :)
    >


    I use adjacent sibling combined with a first-letter pseudoclass here:

    <http://theodorakis.net/blockcenter.html>

    and on some other pages.

    The relevant CSS is:

    h1 + p:first-letter, h2 + p:first-letter, h3 + p:first-letter, h4 +
    p:first-letter
    {
    font-size: 1.8em;
    font-weight: bold;
    font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
    vertical-align: bottom;
    }

    (which is in the file:

    <http://theodorakis.net/article.css>

    Effect is visible in Mozilla/Firefox but not in MSIE v6 or less.

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html
    Nick Theodorakis, Mar 25, 2006
    #15
  16. Noozer

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Noozer wrote:
    > Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
    > it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?


    There is yet another issue concerning IE7 that I have not seen
    mentioned yet. There are several browsers around that are slight to
    extensive modifications of IE6. Some that come to mind are MSN9, some
    AOL, SBC/Yahoo DSL, MyIE2, etc. Some of these modify an installed IE6.
    Now what is going to happen if one uses one of these browsers and adds
    IE7 is not clear to me. Unless Microsoft has done extensive research on
    just how all of these related browsers modify IE6, then there could
    well be problems if one adds IE7 and deletes IE6 or not. For instance I
    use my ISP SBC/Yahoo DSL browser only for things needed for the ISP
    service and Windows updates - otherwise I use Firefox and Opera mostly.
    I am not about to add IE7 until SBC/Yahoo state that their browser will
    continue to work if I do so.
    cwdjrxyz, Mar 25, 2006
    #16
  17. Noozer

    Toby Inkster Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:

    > There is yet another issue concerning IE7 that I have not seen
    > mentioned yet. There are several browsers around that are slight to
    > extensive modifications of IE6. Some that come to mind are MSN9, some
    > AOL, SBC/Yahoo DSL, MyIE2, etc. Some of these modify an installed IE6.
    > Now what is going to happen if one uses one of these browsers and adds
    > IE7 is not clear to me.


    These browsers don't "modify IE 6" -- they use the MSHTML API to render
    documents. MSHTML is a library that comes with Internet Explorer.

    The MSHTML 7 API is the same as the MSHTML 6 API, so these browsers will
    simply continue to operate as normal, albeit with a newer rendering engine.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Mar 25, 2006
    #17
  18. Noozer

    jb Guest

    > Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
    > it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?
    >
    >


    Conventionally, it's competitive and better than anyone expected.
    jb, Mar 26, 2006
    #18
  19. Els wrote:

    > I like the min- and max-width and -height though.


    Do you mean you've seen IE 7 support min-width and max-width? Which build?
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 26, 2006
    #19
  20. Noozer

    Els Guest

    Els, Mar 26, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,000
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,092
  3. Jeff Louella

    IE7 on XP vs IE7 on Vista

    Jeff Louella, Mar 1, 2007, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    499
    Adrienne Boswell
    Mar 2, 2007
  4. Monk
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,433
    Michael Wojcik
    Apr 20, 2005
  5. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    572
    Dr John Stockton
    Jun 3, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page