IE7 comments?

Noozer

Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Noozer finally
proclaimed:
Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet?
Yes.

Any comments to how it improves upon IE6?

The CSS support was better, but overall I found it slow and sluggish to
use. The main problem that I had with it was that the interface had
changed so much that it really wasn't nice - there were buttons all over
the place, and several in locations that I wasn't expecting to find
them. Also, the graphics for the buttons looked cheap and nasty, but I
expect that to change before the final release.
How does it compare to Firefox?

It really doesn't. IMHO, Firefox/Opera/et al are still miles ahead in
terms of usability.

Toby Inkster

Noozer said:
Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

It's still pretty rubbish.

CSS parsing has improved leaps and bounds, so most of the old hacks for
MSIE won't work anymore. But CSS rendering hasn't improved much, so the
old hacks would still be quite useful if they worked!

That said, there have been a few CSS improvements that are worth
mentioning -- for instance, fixed positioning of elements and background
images now works properly. It's still a long way off full CSS 2.1 though.

PNG alpha blending works and there's a native XMLHTTPRequest object (no
ActiveX required for either of these now!)

The interface is horrible, both graphically and usability-wise, but I
expect they'll improve that -- after all, it's only a beta for now.

Els

Toby said:
It's still pretty rubbish.

CSS parsing has improved leaps and bounds, so most of the old hacks for
MSIE won't work anymore. But CSS rendering hasn't improved much, so the
old hacks would still be quite useful if they worked!

That said, there have been a few CSS improvements that are worth
mentioning -- for instance, fixed positioning of elements and background
images now works properly. It's still a long way off full CSS 2.1 though.

I like the min- and max-width and -height though.
But there's new bugs too, and IIUC they're not gonna change anything
anymore till the release.
The interface is horrible, both graphically and usability-wise, but I
expect they'll improve that -- after all, it's only a beta for now.

You're very optimistic...

Nick Theodorakis

Dylan said:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Noozer finally
proclaimed:

Yes.

Any support for selectors like adjacent sibling (e.g., h2 + p) and
attribute selectors?

Nick

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Nick
Theodorakis finally proclaimed:
Any support for selectors like adjacent sibling (e.g., h2 + p) and
attribute selectors?

Do you have a link to a page that demonstrates these? Then I can let you
know :)

TheBagbournes

You can't drag the tabs around to order them as you want like you can in
Firefox.

The UI layout is pugly.

The security warning at the top of your page if you've allowed script is
annoying.

Bill

Very slow, liked tabed support, very buggy atm. Lots of firms do no
support it like online banking. Wait for windows vista

--
Bil

*Kind Regards
*Bill

*If you found the information useful then support us by clickin
a google advert.
This Message Was Posted Free At: UK Webmaster Forums: http://www.ukwebmasterforums.com/ - Prodly Hosted By Session 9 Ltd http://www.session9.co.uk

Adrienne Boswell

Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to
how it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

Yup, I tried it, and as others have said, Opera and Firefox are miles
ahead. Heck, it can't even do mouse gestures yet.

But, this is what I find most intesting, Microsoft Internet Explorer
"createTextRange()" Code Execution <http://secunia.com/advisories/18680/>
specifically:
<quote>
The vulnerability has been confirmed on a fully patched system with
Internet Explorer 6.0 and Microsoft Windows XP SP2. The vulnerability has
also been confirmed in Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview (January
edition). Other versions may also be affected.
</quote>

Jim Moe

Noozer said:
Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?
Who cares? It will be at least a year before it is released especially
since the forever-delayed Vista (4 *years* late and counting) is a black
hole sucking up all of the coding talent at Microsoft and its subsidiaries.
IE6 is our bane for years to come.
IE7 will likely be a me-too browser, half a decade late, etc. It is
interesting only in that it probably will reduce a development step:
1. Create a page as I envision it using standards compliant browsers
2. Hack the code until IE looks the same.

Toby Inkster

Dylan said:
Do you have a link to a page that demonstrates these? Then I can let you
know :)

Arne

Once said:
You can't drag the tabs around to order them as you want like you can in
Firefox.

The UI layout is pugly.

The security warning at the top of your page if you've allowed script is
annoying.

What and who are you talking about/to? This is not a web based "forum",
it's usenet. So please, follow the standards for usenet when posting and
replying.

How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2

Arne

Once said:
Very slow, liked tabed support, very buggy atm. Lots of firms do not
support it like online banking. Wait for windows vista.

What and who are you talking about/to? This is not a web based "forum",
it's usenet. So please, follow the standards for usenet when posting and
replying.

How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2

--
/Arne

Ignoring posters who don't quote
* How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2
* From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

Nick Theodorakis

Dylan said:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Nick
Theodorakis finally proclaimed:

Do you have a link to a page that demonstrates these? Then I can let you
know :)

I use adjacent sibling combined with a first-letter pseudoclass here:

<http://theodorakis.net/blockcenter.html>

and on some other pages.

The relevant CSS is:

h1 + p:first-letter, h2 + p:first-letter, h3 + p:first-letter, h4 +
p:first-letter
{
font-size: 1.8em;
font-weight: bold;
font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
vertical-align: bottom;
}

(which is in the file:

<http://theodorakis.net/article.css>

Effect is visible in Mozilla/Firefox but not in MSIE v6 or less.

Nick

cwdjrxyz

Noozer said:
Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

There is yet another issue concerning IE7 that I have not seen
mentioned yet. There are several browsers around that are slight to
extensive modifications of IE6. Some that come to mind are MSN9, some
AOL, SBC/Yahoo DSL, MyIE2, etc. Some of these modify an installed IE6.
Now what is going to happen if one uses one of these browsers and adds
IE7 is not clear to me. Unless Microsoft has done extensive research on
just how all of these related browsers modify IE6, then there could
well be problems if one adds IE7 and deletes IE6 or not. For instance I
use my ISP SBC/Yahoo DSL browser only for things needed for the ISP
service and Windows updates - otherwise I use Firefox and Opera mostly.
I am not about to add IE7 until SBC/Yahoo state that their browser will
continue to work if I do so.

Toby Inkster

cwdjrxyz said:
There is yet another issue concerning IE7 that I have not seen
mentioned yet. There are several browsers around that are slight to
extensive modifications of IE6. Some that come to mind are MSN9, some
AOL, SBC/Yahoo DSL, MyIE2, etc. Some of these modify an installed IE6.
Now what is going to happen if one uses one of these browsers and adds
IE7 is not clear to me.

These browsers don't "modify IE 6" -- they use the MSHTML API to render
documents. MSHTML is a library that comes with Internet Explorer.

The MSHTML 7 API is the same as the MSHTML 6 API, so these browsers will
simply continue to operate as normal, albeit with a newer rendering engine.

jb

Have many of you tried out MS Internet Exploder 7 yet? Any comments to how
it improves upon IE6? How does it compare to Firefox?

Conventionally, it's competitive and better than anyone expected.