IE7 hangs sporadically when running applets (with modal windows?)

usenet

Hi.

I have an applet which uses a FileDialog to retrieve reference to a
file in the file system. This applet has worked without problems in
earlier IE versions and other browsers, but occasionally under IE7 when
closing the FileDialog, and effectively freezes the browser.

The last few lines in the applet console:

---
Modality pushed
20-10-2006 07:39:36 sun.plugin.util.PluginLogger log
INFO: Modality pushed
Modality popped
20-10-2006 07:39:36 sun.plugin.util.PluginLogger log
INFO: Modality popped
---

I've read about another user in comp.lang.java.programmer who has the
same problem, and also with modal windows it appears. Has anyone had
similar experiences?

Thanks.

Morten

usenet

This is reproducible with the following simple applet. You do not even
need to select a file, simply hitting "Esc" when the file dialog is
open is sufficient to hang IE7. I strongly suspect there's a problem in
IE with handing focus back to the main window after having had a modal
window.

package test;

import java.applet.Applet;
import java.awt.Button;
import java.awt.Color;
import java.awt.Event;
import java.awt.FileDialog;
import java.awt.Frame;
import java.awt.Panel;
import java.io.File;

public class ModalFileDialogTest extends Applet {

private static final long serialVersionUID = 1351796453988581417L;

public ModalFileDialogTest() {
Panel p = new Panel();
p.add(new Button("Open"));
p.setBackground(new Color(255, 255, 255));

add("North",p);
}

public boolean action(Event evt, Object arg) {
if ("Open".equals(arg)) {
System.out.println("Opening file selection");

FileDialog fd = new FileDialog(new Frame());
fd.setMode(FileDialog.LOAD);
fd.show();

String selectedItem = fd.getFile();

if (selectedItem == null) {
System.out.println("No file selected");
}
else {
File file = new File(fd.getDirectory() + File.separator +
fd.getFile());
System.out.println("Selected file: " + file.getName());
}

return true;
}
else {
System.out.println("Unexpected arg: "+arg);
return false;

The HTML:

<applet code="test.ModalFileDialogTest.class" archive="modaltest.jar"
width="100" height="100">
</applet>