IE8 and UTF-8

Andrew Poulos

I've been working on a site that requires the display of Japanese ideograms.

I set the page's charset to utf-8 and directly inputed the ideograms.

They appear as expected in all the browsers I've tested except for IE 8.
In IE 8 I need to turn on compatibility mode to get them to display
correctly.

What do I need to do for IE 8 to display the ideograms correctly without
going to compatibility or quirks mode?

Andrew Poulos

Harlan Messinger

Andrew said:
I've been working on a site that requires the display of Japanese
ideograms.

I set the page's charset to utf-8 and directly inputed the ideograms.

They appear as expected in all the browsers I've tested except for IE 8.
In IE 8 I need to turn on compatibility mode to get them to display
correctly.

What do I need to do for IE 8 to display the ideograms correctly without
going to compatibility or quirks mode?

"I set the page's charset to utf-8" doesn't tell us what you actually
did that you are interpreting in this manner. It's hard to tell what
part of code we can't see is the cause of a problem. Preferably a URL,
so we can see what the server is telling the browser.

Andrew Poulos

Harlan said:
"I set the page's charset to utf-8" doesn't tell us what you actually
did that you are interpreting in this manner. It's hard to tell what
part of code we can't see is the cause of a problem. Preferably a URL,
so we can see what the server is telling the browser.

Here's the complete HTML for the sample page I'm testing in IE 8.

<head>
<title>ブランム- Contact</title>
</head>

Also when I checked www.sony.jp in IE 8 it again failed to display the
ideograms correctly. Is IE 8 is "broken"?

Andrew Poulos

rf

Andrew said:
Here's the complete HTML for the sample page I'm testing in IE 8.

No, not the HTML, a URL to the page on your server "so we can see what the
server is telling the browser". Hint: If the server is setting a charset
then your HTML will not override it.

rf

Andrew said:
Here's the URL
<url: http://members.iinet.net.au/~apoulos/unicode.htm >
It will popup the HTTP Content-Type header when it loads.

Your server headers indicate content-type text/html, without any charset
info. So the meta element in your page should, and in fact is, taking
effect, as per the page info displayed by firefox.

If it is not working in IE8 then I suggest you file a bug report, or ask
over in the relevant microsoft group.

BootNic

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 15:10:34 +1000
[snip]
Here's the URL <url:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~apoulos/unicode.htm > It will popup
the HTTP Content-Type header when it loads.

In Vista Business sp1 IE 8 the url displays the Japanese just fine.

In my xp pro IE 8, IE 8 compatibility mode does not affect the
display, xp home IE 7, the Japanese does not display.

--
BootNic Thu Apr 9, 2009 02:59 am
*Aldous Huxley*

Andrew Poulos

Andrew Poulos wrote:
I've been working on a site that requires the display of
Japanese ideograms.

I set the page's charset to utf-8 and directly inputed the
ideograms. They appear as expected in all the browsers I've
tested except for IE 8. In IE 8 I need to turn on
compatibility mode to get them to display correctly.

What do I need to do for IE 8 to display the ideograms
correctly without going to compatibility or quirks mode?
[snip]
Here's the URL <url:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~apoulos/unicode.htm > It will popup
the HTTP Content-Type header when it loads.

In Vista Business sp1 IE 8 the url displays the Japanese just fine.

In my xp pro IE 8, IE 8 compatibility mode does not affect the
display, xp home IE 7, the Japanese does not display.

For me it displays fine on XP Pro IE 6 and IE 7, and Vista IE 7.

On XP Pro with IE 8 I need to turn on compatibility view to get the
ideograms to appear.

Also I note that www.sony.jp does not display ideograms on XP Pro with IE 8.

Do I need Vista to get IE 8 to work with unicode?

Andrew Poulos

rf

Andrew said:
Do I need Vista to get IE 8 to work with unicode?

Now wouldn't that be a remarkable marketing ploy.

Hey, I'm microsoft, download my latest and greatest *free* browser but you
will need to spend hundreds of $s to upgrade your operating system to my
latest and greatest and very broken version to make the browser usable if
you don't live in the U S of A :)

Bergamot

rf said:
Hey, I'm microsoft, download my latest and greatest *free* browser but you
will need to spend hundreds of $s to upgrade your operating system to my
latest and greatest [...] to make the browser usable

Strange how nobody seems to complain when Apple does the same thing...

BootNic

Andrew Poulos wrote:
I've been working on a site that requires the display of
Japanese ideograms.

I set the page's charset to utf-8 and directly inputed
the ideograms. They appear as expected in all the browsers
I've tested except for IE 8. In IE 8 I need to turn on
compatibility mode to get them to display correctly.

What do I need to do for IE 8 to display the ideograms
correctly without going to compatibility or quirks mode? [snip]
Here's the URL <url:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~apoulos/unicode.htm > It will
popup the HTTP Content-Type header when it loads.

In Vista Business sp1 IE 8 the url displays the Japanese just
fine.

In my xp pro IE 8, IE 8 compatibility mode does not affect
the display, xp home IE 7, the Japanese does not display.

For me it displays fine on XP Pro IE 6 and IE 7, and Vista IE
7.

On XP Pro with IE 8 I need to turn on compatibility view to
get the ideograms to appear.

Also I note that www.sony.jp does not display ideograms on XP
Pro with IE 8.

Do I need Vista to get IE 8 to work with unicode?

I don't think that would be required.

After a visit to the sony site with xp pro sp3 IE 8, it prompted
me to install a language pack. I did try to install it from that
prompted, however it failed to install.

After a while I was able to install files for East Asian
languages and gave it another go.

xp pro sp3 IE 8 did display the ideograms, as I can not read
Japanese I really do not know if it displayed correctly. It did
display without the need for compatibility view.

I can only assume that if I were to install the East Asian
languages on the other xp systems it would produce the same results
for IE 6 & 7.

Perhaps try to reinstall/install the East Asian languages to see
if that resolves the issue.

--
BootNic Thu Apr 9, 2009 03:41 pm
"This is all very interesting, and I daresay you already see me

Andrew Poulos

BootNic said:
On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 15:10:34 +1000
<[email protected]>

Andrew Poulos wrote:
[...]

I found a Vista box and IE 8 does display Unicode correctly without
being in compatibility view.
After a visit to the sony site with xp pro sp3 IE 8, it prompted
me to install a language pack. I did try to install it from that
prompted, however it failed to install.

After a while I was able to install files for East Asian
languages and gave it another go.

xp pro sp3 IE 8 did display the ideograms, as I can not read
Japanese I really do not know if it displayed correctly. It did
display without the need for compatibility view.

I can only assume that if I were to install the East Asian
languages on the other xp systems it would produce the same results
for IE 6 & 7.

Perhaps try to reinstall/install the East Asian languages to see
if that resolves the issue.

I've never installed East Asian languages. I have on the same XP SP3 box
Opera, Firefox, Chrome and Safari and they all display the ideograms
correctly. So it tends to make me believe that there's an issue with IE
8 on XP.

Andrew Poulos

dorayme

Bergamot said:
rf said:
Hey, I'm microsoft, download my latest and greatest *free* browser but you
will need to spend hundreds of $s to upgrade your operating system to my
latest and greatest [...] to make the browser usable

Strange how nobody seems to complain when Apple does the same thing...

And Apple did this 'same thing' when?