IE's default for Save As Type incorrect

nbaxley

I'm using a binary stream to send down a file with ASP from the web
server. I've been having trouble with IE and getting it to recognize
my file. I've added the filename as a paramater(?filename=file.jpgw)
to handle IE's mime type mangling, but I'm still having trouble with
IE's default Save As Type being HTML. When we send down a jpgw
(geo-jpeg) file IE wants to save it as an HTML file. I've got the
correct filename showing in the Filename box, and if I choose the All
Files option from the Save As Type drop down then the file is saved
with the correct extension. I'd like to have the All Files option
choosen by default. I know it's just a couple of clicks but we have
some noivce users that can't seem to get that.

Any ideas?
Nate Baxley

nbaxley

Sorry about that I've added the filename as a parameter to the script
(page.asp?file=image.jpgw) in order to get IE to look at the correct
extension instead of just the mime-type. I looked at both of the
articles you linked to and they don't address the main problem I'm
having which is getting the "Save As Type" drop down in the "Save As"
box to show the option that I want, which is All Types or anything
that will keep IE from adding an extension to my filename.

Thanks for the links,
Nate Baxley

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

articles you linked to and they don't address the main problem I'm
having which is getting the "Save As Type" drop down in the "Save As"
box to show the option that I want, which is All Types or anything
that will keep IE from adding an extension to my filename.

Sorry, you can't control this client-side behavior, and you certainly can't
do it from ASP.