If child class not it classpath

Aaron Fude

Suppose that on the "server", I have the following code:

ObjectInputStream in = new
ObjectInputStream(coming.from.wherever);
ClassA obj= (ClassA) in.readObject();

and I send via the input stream an instance of ClassB that extends
ClassA, but ClassB is not in the classpath of the "server". Should
this work? I would have thought "yes", but I tried it and the answer
is "no".

I have found a workaround so that's not what I am looking for, but I'm
hoping that, through an explanation, I will learn something new.

I see a little bit of what's wrong here. The "server" may want to call
a function on "obj" that's been overridden in ClassB and it doesn't
have access to that code. But is there a way to supply the code the
the "server" as well?

Thanks!

Aaron

Arne Vajhøj

Aaron said:
Suppose that on the "server", I have the following code:

ObjectInputStream in = new
ObjectInputStream(coming.from.wherever);
ClassA obj= (ClassA) in.readObject();

and I send via the input stream an instance of ClassB that extends
ClassA, but ClassB is not in the classpath of the "server". Should
this work? I would have thought "yes", but I tried it and the answer
is "no".

You can not deserialize an instance of a class that you do not have
a class definition for.

Because it does not know about the members.

Arne

Aaron Fude

You can not deserialize an instance of a class that you do not have
a class definition for.

Because it does not know about the members.

Arne

That makes sense. And it's not possible to send the definition of the
class over, too?

Arne Vajhøj

Aaron said:
That makes sense. And it's not possible to send the definition of the
class over, too?

In theory yes.

It just requires a classloader that can read what is loaded
from the stream.

It will be slightly easier if you can use HTTP to load
the class file, because a standard URLClassLoader can
load over HTTP.

Arne