IF flash installed THEN file.swf ELSE file.jpg

Discussion in 'HTML' started by diablo, Jun 18, 2005.

  1. diablo

    diablo Guest

    Hi

    Is there a way to check if the user has flash installed so that you can say
    if they have flash then show flash else show jpg

    Thanks in advance

    D
     
    diablo, Jun 18, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. in alt.html, diablo wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Is there a way to check if the user has flash installed


    No.

    > if they have flash then show flash else show jpg


    Yes. Put your jpg inside the object element.

    Should work, and sometimes actually does.

    --
    Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
    Utrecht, NL.
    Support me, buy Opera:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=882173
     
    Lauri Raittila, Jun 18, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. diablo

    Spartanicus Guest

    "diablo" <> wrote:

    >Is there a way to check if the user has flash installed so that you can say
    >if they have flash then show flash else show jpg


    <object data="flash.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    width="100" height="100">
    <img src="jpeg.jpg" width="100" height="100" alt="alt text">
    </object>

    --
    Spartanicus
     
    Spartanicus, Jun 18, 2005
    #3
  4. diablo wrote:
    > Is there a way to check if the user has flash installed so that you can say
    > if they have flash then show flash else show jpg


    No, nothing reliable.

    --
    -=tn=-
     
    Travis Newbury, Jun 18, 2005
    #4
  5. Spartanicus wrote:
    >>Is there a way to check if the user has flash installed so that you can say
    >>if they have flash then show flash else show jpg

    > <object data="flash.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    > width="100" height="100">
    > <img src="jpeg.jpg" width="100" height="100" alt="alt text">
    > </object>


    Only works is the don't have flash installed. If they have the wrong
    version of flash it doesn't work. While this _IS_ what the OP asked, I
    would guess he forgot about people with the wrong version.

    --
    -=tn=-
     
    Travis Newbury, Jun 18, 2005
    #5
  6. diablo

    Els Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Spartanicus wrote:
    >>>Is there a way to check if the user has flash installed so that you can say
    >>>if they have flash then show flash else show jpg

    >> <object data="flash.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    >> width="100" height="100">
    >> <img src="jpeg.jpg" width="100" height="100" alt="alt text">
    >> </object>

    >
    > Only works is the don't have flash installed. If they have the wrong
    > version of flash it doesn't work.


    That's something I encounter quite often, actually. Isn't it possible
    to cater for those occurences too?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Now playing: Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water (Live)
     
    Els, Jun 18, 2005
    #6
  7. Els wrote:

    >>Only works is the don't have flash installed. If they have the wrong
    >>version of flash it doesn't work.

    > That's something I encounter quite often, actually. Isn't it possible
    > to cater for those occurences too?


    There are sniffers out there, but the only reliable way is to have some
    one see if they can see a small flash movie (some animation) published
    in the correct version. If they can't see the animation tell them to
    upgrade. That is the ONLY reliable way if the flash is mandatory for
    the site or application.

    --
    -=tn=-
     
    Travis Newbury, Jun 18, 2005
    #7
  8. diablo

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Els wrote:
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Spartanicus wrote:
    >>
    >>>>Is there a way to check if the user has flash installed so that you can say
    >>>>if they have flash then show flash else show jpg
    >>>
    >>><object data="flash.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    >>>width="100" height="100">
    >>><img src="jpeg.jpg" width="100" height="100" alt="alt text">
    >>></object>

    >>
    >>Only works is the don't have flash installed. If they have the wrong
    >>version of flash it doesn't work.

    >
    >
    > That's something I encounter quite often, actually. Isn't it possible
    > to cater for those occurences too?
    >


    You can write a little JS to trap the Flash version. If they dont have
    js installed either... well you have to add a js trap as well :)

    --


    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
     
    SpaceGirl, Jun 19, 2005
    #8
  9. diablo

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Els wrote:
    >
    >>> Only works is the don't have flash installed. If they have the wrong
    >>> version of flash it doesn't work.

    >>
    >> That's something I encounter quite often, actually. Isn't it possible
    >> to cater for those occurences too?

    >
    >
    > There are sniffers out there, but the only reliable way is to have some
    > one see if they can see a small flash movie (some animation) published
    > in the correct version. If they can't see the animation tell them to
    > upgrade. That is the ONLY reliable way if the flash is mandatory for
    > the site or application.
    >


    Yep - only way without scripting anyway.

    --


    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
     
    SpaceGirl, Jun 19, 2005
    #9
  10. SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Yep - only way without scripting anyway.



    But all scripting methods are unreliable. If it is essential that the
    Flash work, then you have to let the visitor tell you if they have the
    right version. You can not rely on any automated method.


    --
    -=tn=-
     
    Travis Newbury, Jun 19, 2005
    #10
  11. diablo

    Els Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > You can write a little JS to trap the Flash version. If they dont have
    > js installed either... well you have to add a js trap as well :)


    I think that /is/ the JS trap ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Now playing: Mary Wells - My Guy
     
    Els, Jun 19, 2005
    #11
  12. Dave Benjamin, Jun 20, 2005
    #12
  13. diablo

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, diablo quothed

    > Hi
    >
    > Is there a way to check if the user has flash installed so that you can say
    > if they have flash then show flash else show jpg


    That's a good question but Flash sucks if you have a slow connection.
    I've removed Flash from every computer I've had since 1937.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
     
    Neredbojias, Jun 22, 2005
    #13
  14. Neredbojias wrote:
    > That's a good question but Flash sucks if you have a slow connection.
    > I've removed Flash from every computer I've had since 1937.


    Na, Flash only sucks on a slow connection if the developer doesn't know
    how you create swfs correctly.

    --
    -=tn=-
     
    Travis Newbury, Jun 22, 2005
    #14
  15. diablo

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    > > That's a good question but Flash sucks if you have a slow connection.
    > > I've removed Flash from every computer I've had since 1937.

    >
    > Na, Flash only sucks on a slow connection if the developer doesn't know
    > how you create swfs correctly.


    You may be right but almost all the Flash experiences I've had made me
    wait "forever", didn't announced what they were to begin with, and
    didn't inquire if I had the necessary software until *after* the damn
    thing downloaded first.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
     
    Neredbojias, Jun 23, 2005
    #15
  16. Neredbojias wrote:
    > > Na, Flash only sucks on a slow connection if the developer doesn't know
    > > how you create swfs correctly.

    > You may be right but almost all the Flash experiences I've had made me
    > wait "forever", didn't announced what they were to begin with, and
    > didn't inquire if I had the necessary software until *after* the damn
    > thing downloaded first.


    Most (90%+ from my experience) Flash sucks. Developers don't know how
    to optimize tweens, they bloat it with needless imbedded images
    (usually because they believe they can only dynamically load jpg's) and
    they haven a clue how to use Actionscript to eliminate needless
    timelines and frames.

    A good sign that your Flash is bloated is when you need a loader.

    --
    -=tn=-
     
    Travis Newbury, Jun 23, 2005
    #16
  17. diablo

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Els wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >
    >>You can write a little JS to trap the Flash version. If they dont have
    >>js installed either... well you have to add a js trap as well :)

    >
    >
    > I think that /is/ the JS trap ;-)
    >


    *I'm* not even sure what I meant when I wrote that now *puzzled*

    --


    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #
     
    SpaceGirl, Jun 23, 2005
    #17
  18. diablo

    Els Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >> SpaceGirl wrote:
    >>
    >>>You can write a little JS to trap the Flash version. If they dont have
    >>>js installed either... well you have to add a js trap as well :)

    >>
    >> I think that /is/ the JS trap ;-)

    >
    > *I'm* not even sure what I meant when I wrote that now *puzzled*


    <g>

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
     
    Els, Jun 23, 2005
    #18
  19. diablo

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed

    > A good sign that your Flash is bloated is when you need a loader.


    Yes. I like to save my loader for other things and Flash only when
    necessary.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
     
    Neredbojias, Jun 25, 2005
    #19
  20. diablo

    Dennis Guest

    On 24 Jun 2005 Neredbojias wrote in alt.html

    > Yes. I like to save my loader for other things


    Like manure?

    --
    Dennis
     
    Dennis, Jun 25, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Matt
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,047
    David Young
    Apr 28, 2005
  2. UJ

    Converting JPG to SWF

    UJ, Jul 29, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    407
  3. JJ
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    577
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    341
  5. Replies:
    15
    Views:
    248
Loading...

Share This Page