    would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
    Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

    Thanks a lot...
    BillJosephson, Jan 20, 2007

  2. Re: If I write java program for Windows, will it run on a PDA orCell Phone?

    BillJosephson wrote:
    > I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
    > would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
    > Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

    Linux: yes.

    PDA/Cell Phone - only if you use J2ME.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Jan 20, 2007

  3. Re: If I write java program for Windows, will it run on a PDA orCell Phone?

    BillJosephson wrote:
    > I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
    > would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
    > Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

    The main Java language is OK, but handling the screen, the keys, and the
    digitizer has to be done specially. The usable features available on
    PDAs and phones are just too different from those of a regular computer,
    and from one PDA or phone to another, for Java to cover.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres
    John W. Kennedy, Jan 20, 2007
  4. Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > BillJosephson wrote:
    > > I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
    > > would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
    > > Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

    > Linux: yes.
    >
    > PDA/Cell Phone - only if you use J2ME.
    >
    > Arne

    Is J2ME very different from java? I know programming C for a Palm
    pilot required a very different approach than programming C for a PC,
    due to memory,
    BillJosephson, Jan 21, 2007
  5. Re: If I write java program for Windows, will it run on a PDA orCell Phone?

    BillJosephson wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> BillJosephson wrote:
    >>> I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
    >>> would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
    >>> Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

    >> Linux: yes.
    >>
    >> PDA/Cell Phone - only if you use J2ME.

    > Is J2ME very different from java? I know programming C for a Palm
    > pilot required a very different approach than programming C for a PC,
    > due to memory,

    J2ME is Java (Java 2 Micro Edition).

    It is a scaled down version of Java intended for
    devices with little memory.

    There are some differences.

    You can read more here http://java.sun.com/javame/index.jsp !

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Jan 21, 2007
  6. John W. Kennedy wrote:
    > BillJosephson wrote:
    > > I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
    > > would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
    > > Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

    > The main Java language is OK, but handling the screen, the keys, and the
    > digitizer has to be done specially. The usable features available on
    > PDAs and phones are just too different from those of a regular computer,
    > and from one PDA or phone to another, for Java to cover.
    >
    > --
    > John W. Kennedy
    > "The blind rulers of Logres
    > Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
    > -- Charles Williams. "Taliessin through Logres: Prelude"

    Thanks, I see your point. How then do developers handle it if the built
    in java tools and guis don't work? Do they have to write custom code
    for each PDA or cell phone? Are there APIs released by the phone
    manufacturers?

    Thanks much.
    BillJosephson, Jan 21, 2007
  7. Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > BillJosephson wrote:
    > > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > >> Linux: yes.
    > >>
    > >> PDA/Cell Phone - only if you use J2ME.

    > > Is J2ME very different from java? I know programming C for a Palm
    > > pilot required a very different approach than programming C for a PC,
    > > due to memory,

    > J2ME is Java (Java 2 Micro Edition).
    >
    > It is a scaled down version of Java intended for
    > devices with little memory.
    >
    > There are some differences.
    >
    > You can read more here http://java.sun.com/javame/index.jsp !
    >
    > Arne

    Thanks Arne...
    BillJosephson, Jan 21, 2007
  8. Re: If I write java program for Windows, will it run on a PDA orCell Phone?

    BillJosephson wrote:
    > John W. Kennedy wrote:
    >> BillJosephson wrote:
    >>> I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
    >>> would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
    >>> Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

    >> The main Java language is OK, but handling the screen, the keys, and the
    >> digitizer has to be done specially. The usable features available on
    >> PDAs and phones are just too different from those of a regular computer,
    >> and from one PDA or phone to another, for Java to cover.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John W. Kennedy
    >> "The blind rulers of Logres
    >> Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
    >> -- Charles Williams. "Taliessin through Logres: Prelude"

    > Thanks, I see your point. How then do developers handle it if the built
    > in java tools and guis don't work? Do they have to write custom code
    > for each PDA or cell phone? Are there APIs released by the phone
    > manufacturers?

    The good ones have 'em. As others have said, you need the Micro Edition.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres
    John W. Kennedy, Jan 24, 2007