if statement

Roedy Green

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:30:03 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
<[email protected]> poked his
finger up one nostril and sprayed these words in blood and snot out
the other:

Eventually I will find some words that push your limit. My words cease
to be a "joke" the instant you complain and I persist.
No. If you are responding to my post and use phrases similar to

you this
you that
you the other thing

It would be interesting to have an experimental newsgroup where all
posts were completely anonymous -- not even pseudonyms. People then
might then focus on the issues , rather than paying attention to who
said them, alliances, insult tracking etc.

Thomas G. Marshall

Roedy Green coughed up:
You repeatedly insult me comparing my posts to coughed up phlegm.

I have repeatedly asked you not to do that.

/Repeatedly/ ? Give me a list of how "repeatedly" this is.

Why then do you think I
will give a rat's ass whether every one of your precious utterances is
perfectly attributed to your majesty?

So by the "you" you write here are you talking to everyone in the newsgroup?

See the problem yet?

Roedy Green

/Repeatedly/ ? Give me a list of how "repeatedly" this is.

Get serious. You argued back and forth with me that I had no right to
take offense then repeated the insult on every one of my posts you
commented on since. How else is one to interpret that but a **** you?
I explained that I could not plonk you much as I was infuriated
because you posted so much valuable information.

I tried to get you to understand with my "tubercular" exaggeration of
what you were doing, but you pretended to be amused.

You figured that since YOU would not find your insult offensive nobody
else possibly could, even if they asserted vehemently that they did.
That in itself is infuriating. Different things bother different
people. Normal people stop behaviours infuriating to others that have
no benefit to them, unless they are deliberately attempting to
infuriate.

I figure you did it because you resented me asking you to stop. You
felt it an imposition on your autonomy to stop insulting me, on the
grounds you insulted everyone else. Why should I be so special?

One of my main contributions to my planet are my posts. I get really
pissed when someone compares them to spit up mucus day after day no
matter what the content.

Scott Ellsworth

"Thomas G. Marshall"
Scott Ellsworth coughed up:

Whoa, hang on now. Are you saying that you can measure a difference in
maintainability based on the ternary /alone/ ? I have a hard time imagining
that someone can actually feel that something seems harder to maintain
because of that. There must be other things making a difference in
maintainability noticeable.

I believe I could, were I willing to troll the cvs archive. I have
noted ternary operators seem to hide mystery functionality more often
than ifs.

Obviously, there could also just be sampling bias because I dislike
them, but it does appear that they tend to be misused a fair amount.

Scott

Thomas G. Marshall

Scott Ellsworth coughed up:
"Thomas G. Marshall"
....[rip]...
Whoa, hang on now. Are you saying that you can measure a difference in
maintainability based on the ternary /alone/ ? I have a hard time
imagining
that someone can actually feel that something seems harder to maintain
because of that. There must be other things making a difference in
maintainability noticeable.

I believe I could, were I willing to troll the cvs archive. I have
noted ternary operators seem to hide mystery functionality more often
than ifs.

Obviously, there could also just be sampling bias because I dislike
them, but it does appear that they tend to be misused a fair amount.

It *does* seem as if the ternary operator is in the group of things that
engineers do just for fun to prove they can, though just barely so, but I
still maintain that for simple cases like those shown it is clearer.
Sometimes /sometimes/ terse is clearer than verbose. I suppose the people
stuck with only the original cobol "subtract" operator might agree.

Thomas G. Marshall

Roedy Green coughed up:
Get serious. You argued back and forth with me that I had no right to
take offense then repeated the insult on every one of my posts you
commented on since. How else is one to interpret that but a **** you?
I explained that I could not plonk you much as I was infuriated
because you posted so much valuable information.

I think you may have lost your mind. Are you confusing me with "benji" ?

It took a bit of googling to find out what you're talking about, but I think
you're talking about this thread here, 08-Nov-05, "Null Pointer Exception"
in c.l.j.help, where I *wasn't* *even* *a* *participant* ! Am I supposed to
search for all your posts now? And I notice that your post was pulled from
google----is that an anomoly? I had to pull it off of verizon's server to
see it.

Here is Benji's response to your post that isn't on google. Google loses
posts all the time, so I am not accusing you of anything:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.help/msg/a7659574bafaa977

....[rip]...

One of my main contributions to my planet are my posts. I get really
pissed when someone compares them to spit up mucus day after day no
matter what the content.

When I first conjured up the preamble "coughed up" what I had in mind was
hardly a negative description of the quote that follows it. The original
intention was a tongue-in-cheek attempt to descript something like a
hairball in a cat---something bothering the cat that the cat must cough
up---the problem tha is coughed up for us to help with. I of course
realized nearly immediately that it could be taken to describe the quality
of the material, but it simply makes no sense to me that it would be taken
as some sort of serious insult. It is much the same as "so and so spewed
forth:" etc.

So beats me why you're freaking out over this.

But in any case, though I certainly don't "get" what you're on about here,
you seem convinced of it, so I'll change it. Too late for this post though,
because I already hit [send]...

Roedy Green

I think you may have lost your mind. Are you confusing me with "benji" ?

I went through a similar thing with Benji. The very fact you know
about that gives you less excuse for pleading ignorance.

Roedy Green

Roedy Green coughed up:
I think you may have lost your mind. Are you confusing me with "benji" ?

If you are STILL using that phrase after all this time, and you still
want to claim ignorance of its effect, you are the one who his lost
touch with reality.

Thomas G. Marshall

Roedy Green said something like:
I went through a similar thing with Benji. The very fact you know
about that gives you less excuse for pleading ignorance.

Still off the deep end I see. *Like I said* I had to google to find out
what the heck you were talking about. Here shows what I did:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=thomas+roedy+plonk&start=0&scoring=d&ie=UTF-8&

googling for "thomas roedy plonk"

2nd hit.

So please just take a breath, and relax. I've already changed the
attribution like I said I would.

Thomas G. Marshall

Roedy Green said something like:
If you are STILL using that phrase after all this time, and you still
want to claim ignorance of its effect, you are the one who his lost
touch with reality.

{yawn}. I think we're done here, and I'm running out of patience with you
and this nonsense. Start paying attention to what I've recently said about
changing my attribution. Stop claiming about going back and forth with me
in a conversation I was never in. Chill out and let's go back to helping
people.

Roedy, I think you're fundamentally a good guy. So my attribution was
changed (right when I said it would). If this one bothers you too, let me
know.