    --
    Iron Feliks
    ++++++++++++++++++++

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Feliks Dzerzhinsky

    Hywel Guest

    In article <-omega.net>, Feliks
    Dzerzhinsky says...
    > This site isn't designed to be pretty. We needed a way that our content
    > providers could email their information. My colleague provided a way
    > to strip the content from their email and add it to the respective text
    > files that are embedded.
    >
    > The first page at www.paradigm-omega.com is basically on a hosted site
    > and embeds text from our local server. It also provides a link (the
    > enter graphic) to www2.paradigm-omega.com. A single similar page is
    > there, but the links on it are intentionally dead at this time.
    >
    > I used the W3C validators on it, but my concern is that I may have
    > missed something else. If anything is seriously broken, let me know.
    > Then I can fix it before the site goes live.
    >
    > BTW creating web sites is not my day job, so please keep the laughter at
    > a reasonable level. ;-)

    So, what do you want? A critique of the design? The mark-up? The
    structure?

    Why have you used <object> for the text file? How does a cell-phone
    handle that?

    In answer to the question, I'll guard them if you like.

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

    Hywel, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Feliks Dzerzhinsky

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Spake Hywel unto thee:

    > Why have you used <object> for the text file? How does a cell-phone
    > handle that?

    It *should* display the content between the <object></object> tags, which
    in the OP's case is a hyperlink to the text file. What it *will* do is
    however an entirely different matter.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Dylan Parry, Sep 15, 2004
  4. On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:55:13 +0100
    Dylan Parry <> wrote:

    > Spake Hywel unto thee:
    >
    > > Why have you used <object> for the text file? How does a cell-phone
    > > handle that?

    > It *should* display the content between the <object></object> tags,
    > which in the OP's case is a hyperlink to the text file. What it *will*
    > do is however an entirely different matter.

    As far as I can see, on my PC, it *does* display the content of the text
    file. On my cell phone, it *does* display a link to the text file which
    can then be displayed. The possible problem that may be experienced
    from outside our network is that many of the links are still pointing to
    local addresses. The reason for this is that I can not view the site
    from a "public" IP and have to rely on addresses within our LAN. When
    the site goes live, I will change the URLs accordingly.

    That said, I am curious as to what you believe it *will* do.

    BTW, to save bandwidth, I'll also reply to Hywel here rather than
    separately.. A critique on the appearance is no necessary unless you see
    something that would inhibit functionality. I know it will not win a
    beauty show, but it won't have folks screaming in horror, either. As
    far as the code, if you see something that won't work, I'd be glad to
    know.

    --
    Iron Feliks
    ++++++++++++++++++++

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, Sep 15, 2004
  5. Feliks Dzerzhinsky

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Spake Feliks Dzerzhinsky unto thee:

    > That said, I am curious as to what you believe it *will* do.

    When I said "What it *will* do is however an entirely different matter" I
    meant that there is no guarantee that the user agent will act as per the
    specifications and present the alternative content to the user - it could
    be that a mobile phone will just ignore the element altogether, which is
    obviously not a good thing.

    Dylan Parry, Sep 15, 2004
  6. Feliks Dzerzhinsky

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:08:12 +0100, Dylan Parry <>
    wrote:

    > Spake Feliks Dzerzhinsky unto thee:
    >
    >> That said, I am curious as to what you believe it *will* do.

    > When I said "What it *will* do is however an entirely different matter" I
    > meant that there is no guarantee that the user agent will act as per the
    > specifications and present the alternative content to the user - it could
    > be that a mobile phone will just ignore the element altogether, which is
    > obviously not a good thing.

    While it's good practice to work around known errors in UAs, I think it's
    a bit much to work around issues that are unknowns.

    If a UA doesn't follow the recommendations, and we know what it does wrong
    specifically, that's useful. If we know a specific UA will not render
    content which should be rendered according to the rec, that's something we
    can either accommodate through some means or write off as an error which
    makes this UA unsuitable.

    So my opinion is that unless someone can provide an example of a UA that
    breaks with the object element's normal operation, it's senseless to worry.

    That said, somehow including the txt file through PHP might be better than
    using object.

    Neal, Sep 15, 2004
  7. Feliks Dzerzhinsky

    Sam Hughes Guest

    Neal <> wrote in

    > So my opinion is that unless someone can provide an example of a UA
    > that breaks with the object element's normal operation, it's senseless
    > to worry.

    I'd say that even if there is a browser that _does_ break, let's not care
    about that either. It is the user's responsibility to get one that can
    parse HTML without choking. All that a browser has to do, in this case, is
    ignore the object tag completely. If it fails at that endeavor, then stop
    calling it a browser, unless practicality impedes.

    Sam Hughes, Sep 16, 2004