If you try the JBuilder Enterprise trial, you won't be able to run Turbo JBuilder afterwards

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ramon F Herrera, Nov 6, 2007.

  1. I was very happy with Turbo JBuilder when I made a bad mistake: I
    downloaded the JBuilder Enterprise trial to check it out.

    The first sign of trouble was that the About dialog in both versions
    showed "JBuilder Enterprise 2007". When the trial period ended, I
    uninstalled the Enterprise version, removed its folder and reinstalled
    Turbo JBuilder several times. The Turbo version has an identity crisis
    as it believes to be the Enterprise version.

    Apparently, CodeGear saves some information in the Windows registry,
    and that information stays there even after the software has been
    removed.

    So, if you want to try the Enterprise version, you better be ready to
    purchase it, as the penalty is that you have to forget about using the
    free Turbo version.

    I would expect this viral behavior from unemployed hackers, but not
    from a company of Borland's heritage and stature among the developer
    community.

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Nov 6, 2007

  2. Ramon F Herrera

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Re: If you try the JBuilder Enterprise trial, you won't be able torun Turbo JBuilder afterwards

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > I was very happy with Turbo JBuilder when I made a bad mistake: I
    > downloaded the JBuilder Enterprise trial to check it out.
    >
    > The first sign of trouble was that the About dialog in both versions
    > showed "JBuilder Enterprise 2007". When the trial period ended, I
    > uninstalled the Enterprise version, removed its folder and reinstalled
    > Turbo JBuilder several times. The Turbo version has an identity crisis
    > as it believes to be the Enterprise version.
    >
    > Apparently, CodeGear saves some information in the Windows registry,
    > and that information stays there even after the software has been
    > removed.
    >
    > So, if you want to try the Enterprise version, you better be ready to
    > purchase it, as the penalty is that you have to forget about using the
    > free Turbo version.
    >
    > I would expect this viral behavior from unemployed hackers, but not
    > from a company of Borland's heritage and stature among the developer
    > community.
    >
    > -Ramon

    I would suspect this is a bug, and not intentional. I would send a bug
    report to the appropriate location if I were you.

    Daniel Pitts, Nov 6, 2007

  3. Ramon F Herrera

    Lew Guest

    Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >> I was very happy with Turbo JBuilder when I made a bad mistake: I
    >> downloaded the JBuilder Enterprise trial to check it out.
    >>
    >> The first sign of trouble was that the About dialog in both versions
    >> showed "JBuilder Enterprise 2007". When the trial period ended, I
    >> uninstalled the Enterprise version, removed its folder and reinstalled
    >> Turbo JBuilder several times. The Turbo version has an identity crisis
    >> as it believes to be the Enterprise version.
    >>
    >> Apparently, CodeGear saves some information in the Windows registry,
    >> and that information stays there even after the software has been
    >> removed.
    >>
    >> So, if you want to try the Enterprise version, you better be ready to
    >> purchase it, as the penalty is that you have to forget about using the
    >> free Turbo version.
    >>
    >> I would expect this viral behavior from unemployed hackers, but not
    >> from a company of Borland's heritage and stature among the developer
    >> community.
    >>
    >> -Ramon
    >>

    > I would suspect this is a bug, and not intentional. I would send a bug
    > report to the appropriate location if I were you.

    Perhaps RegAlyzer from
    <http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html>
    or their Spybot - Search & Destroy product will help you clean out the registry.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Nov 6, 2007
  4. Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >I was very happy with Turbo JBuilder ...

    Thanks for the warning*. I agree with Daniel, I'm
    sure Borland would appreciate a bug report.

    * I am not likely to be delving into the (usually excellent)
    Borland tools anytime soon, but it's handy to know things
    to 'watch out for', should the need arise.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Nov 6, 2007
  5. Re: If you try the JBuilder Enterprise trial, you won't be able torun Turbo JBuilder afterwards

    Lew wrote:
    > Perhaps RegAlyzer from
    > <http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html>
    > or their Spybot - Search & Destroy product will help you clean out the
    > registry.

    Spybot certainly will not.

    As the name implies it is a malware remover.

    Arne

    =?UTF-8?B?QXJuZSBWYWpow7hq?=, Nov 7, 2007
  6. Ramon F Herrera

    Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Perhaps RegAlyzer from
    >> <http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html>
    >> or their Spybot - Search & Destroy product will help you clean out the
    >> registry.

    > Spybot certainly will not.
    >
    > As the name implies it is a malware remover.

    I use Spybot S & D, and it certainly will help. It has a tool to identify
    registry inconsistencies and help you resolve them.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Nov 7, 2007
  7. On Nov 5, 11:22 pm, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
    > I was very happy with Turbo JBuilder when I made a bad mistake: I
    > downloaded the JBuilder Enterprise trial to check it out.
    >
    > The first sign of trouble was that the About dialog in both versions
    > showed "JBuilder Enterprise 2007". When the trial period ended, I
    > uninstalled the Enterprise version, removed its folder and reinstalled
    > Turbo JBuilder several times. The Turbo version has an identity crisis
    > as it believes to be the Enterprise version.
    >
    > Apparently, CodeGear saves some information in the Windows registry,
    > and that information stays there even after the software has been
    > removed.
    >
    > So, if you want to try the Enterprise version, you better be ready to
    > purchase it, as the penalty is that you have to forget about using the
    > free Turbo version.
    >
    > I would expect this viral behavior from unemployed hackers, but not
    > from a company of Borland's heritage and stature among the developer
    > community.
    >
    > -Ramon

    This is another problem that has been found & fixed. The solution is
    to remove a file regxxx.txt from your home directory (that file
    corresponds to the JBuilder 2007 Enterprise Trial) and JBuilder
    automagically reverts to the freebie-but-goodie Turbo JBuilder.

    A CodeGear guy told me that being multi-platform, JBuilder does not
    store anything in the &#%* Windows registry.

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Nov 11, 2007