    be handy to have a place to inquire about it.

    --
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Dec 10, 2007

  2. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote:

    > There's currently a proposal on the table to found a new newsgroup,
    > comp.lang.c++.cross-platform. The group will be for discussion of cross-
    > platform programming in C++, such as writing an e-mail client that will
    > work on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and Solaris.

    Wouldn't that better be put in comp.programming instead of comp.lang then?

    Rolf Magnus, Dec 11, 2007

  3. Rolf Magnus wrote:

    > Wouldn't that better be put in comp.programming instead of comp.lang then?

    "comp.programming.cross-platform" sounds ok to me but then again, you'd
    have a constant barrage of stuff like "language X sucks for
    cross-platform programming, use language Y instead"...

    Matthias Buelow, Dec 11, 2007
  4. Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    LR Guest

    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote:
    > There's currently a proposal on the table to found a new newsgroup,
    > comp.lang.c++.cross-platform. The group will be for discussion of cross-
    > platform programming in C++, such as writing an e-mail client that will
    > work on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and Solaris.
    >
    > The sentiment behind the newsgroup is sound; the proposal just needs a
    > few more people to say "Yeah I'd like to see that group". If you'd like to
    > see this newsgroup come into being then please post to the thread entitled
    > "RFD: comp.lang.c++.cross-platform" in news.groups.proposals. A simple
    > paragraph will do, something like:
    >
    > I'm a C++ programmer and I'd like to start writing
    > cross-platform applications but I haven't the first
    > clue about what libraries to use and so forth, so it'd
    > be handy to have a place to inquire about it.

    Please forgive both my ignorance and my stupidity, but I'm having a
    great deal of trouble understanding what kinds of questions and subjects
    would be on topic in comp.lang.c++.cross-platform that aren't on topic
    in comp.lang.c++. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I know that there are
    things that aren't on topic here, and the idea is to cover some of them
    in the proposed group, but what?

    Could you please clarify this with some examples?

    Let me try to clarify my request.

    Suppose someone is writing an email client that would be portable to
    various platforms. Could they ask questions about various kinds of GUI
    libraries for example? Could they ask questions about how to use
    buttons in various or specific GUI libs? Would specific questions about
    specific libraries on particular platforms for sending email be on topic?

    If you allow for this kind of thing, will you make it a requirement for
    questions to be posted with tags? Like maybe [wxWidgets Button] or [Qt
    Button]?

    Would specific questions about particular platforms where the OP isn't
    interested in portability be allowed?

    And also, what kinds of questions would be OT in the proposed NG?

    TIA

    LR

    LR, Dec 11, 2007