iframe background trasparency

Lamberti Fabrizio

hi all,
I've got this problem.

I've got a HTML page with a background image and inside this page there are
some iframe.

Each HTML page loaded inside iframes have no background image or specific
color.

I'd like that iframes' background would be trasparent so I could see the
background image of parent HTML page.

It's possible to do it ?

I must use IFRAMEs and not DIVs

Thx

Els

Lamberti said:
hi all,
I've got this problem.

I've got a HTML page with a background image and inside
this page there are some iframe.

Each HTML page loaded inside iframes have no background
image or specific color.

I'd like that iframes' background would be trasparent so I
could see the background image of parent HTML page.

It's possible to do it ?

I must use IFRAMEs and not DIVs

Just set the background of the iframe to transparent.

Arondelle

Els said:
Just set the background of the iframe to transparent.

Been there, tried that.

I've also been working with an iframe. The transparency thing doesn't
work in IE, nor does setting a background image. Works fine for
Netscape, though.

Arondelle

Lamberti Fabrizio

I've tried to do so but It doesn't seem to be correct.

I've set to transparent the background of:
- IFRAME object inside parent HTML page
- body of HTML page loaded inside iframe

Els

Webcastmaker said:
Well close but no cigar. I think it can be said it really
doesn't work in IE. (sigh)

What do you mean?
I see the background I set in IE6 under XP.
What do you see?

Steve Pugh

Els said:
Eh.. but that does work in IE, actually.
http://locusmeus.com/temp/iframebg.html

Doesn't work in IE 5 or 5.5 (or Opera)

Sort of works in IE6 but the background image starts again within the
iframe (i.e. the top left corner of the background is displayed both
in the top left corner of the page and the top left corner of the
iframe.) This is a well known bug with IE's support for
background-attachment:fixed;

Steve

SpaceGirl

Arondelle said:
Been there, tried that.

I've also been working with an iframe. The transparency thing doesn't
work in IE, nor does setting a background image. Works fine for
Netscape, though.

Arondelle

Backgrounds work fine... got an example for us to see where it doesn't?
If you go to our site and go to Vixens portfolio, you can see an example
of iframes with backgrounds...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Els

Lamberti said:
I've tried to do so but It doesn't seem to be correct.

I've set to transparent the background of:
- IFRAME object inside parent HTML page
- body of HTML page loaded inside iframe

Well, as Arondelle said, it doesn't work in IE.
You can set the background of the iframe, but I don't know if
that does what you want.

Els

Steve said:
Doesn't work in IE 5 or 5.5 (or Opera)

Didn't check :-(
Sort of works in IE6 but the background image starts again
within the iframe (i.e. the top left corner of the
background is displayed both in the top left corner of the
page and the top left corner of the iframe.) This is a well
known bug with IE's support for
background-attachment:fixed;

Yep, although you could still make it appear to workif the
iframe would be in a fixed place on the page, by using a
different image, a cut from the background image in the right
place.

Still, doesn't do anything for IE5 or Opera.

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl said:
Backgrounds work fine... got an example for us to see where it doesn't?
If you go to our site and go to Vixens portfolio, you can see an example
of iframes with backgrounds...

I presume you mean http://82.41.20.93/portfolio.vixen/site.asp ?

The backgrounds are set via <body background="url"> in the files
loaded into the iframes. That's not at all what we're talking about
here. We're talking about setting the background of the iframe itself
(not its content pages) from the CSS of the parent page.

Steve

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
I presume you mean http://82.41.20.93/portfolio.vixen/site.asp ?

The backgrounds are set via <body background="url"> in the files
loaded into the iframes. That's not at all what we're talking about
here. We're talking about setting the background of the iframe itself
(not its content pages) from the CSS of the parent page.

Steve

Ahh right. okay.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Arondelle

SpaceGirl said:
Backgrounds work fine... got an example for us to see where it doesn't?
If you go to our site and go to Vixens portfolio, you can see an example
of iframes with backgrounds...

Try: http://www.red-death.com/~beadles/index.html

In Netscape 7.1, a graphic of a cartoon cat will appear on a background
of cyan spirals. In IE 6.0.2xxx, only the cat appears on a white
background. The background properties of the iframe are set in a
stylesheet, but it doesn't seem to matter: I've tried it both ways.

One of these day, RSN, I'll get around to making a real page to put
there -- at which time the whole background thing becomes moot.

Arondelle

Webcastmaker

What do you mean?
I see the background I set in IE6 under XP.
What do you see?

The object of transparency is to have a single background. The
sample, while it had similar backgrounds they were not blended. (yes,
picky, but still true)

Els

Webcastmaker said:
The object of transparency is to have a single background.
The sample, while it had similar backgrounds they were not
blended. (yes, picky, but still true)

<picky as well>
I responded to "nor does setting a background image". Which
didn't state it had to appear transparent.
</picky>

Yes I know, but if the Iframe would be on a fixed spot on the
page, you could make it work, or at least (avoiding you being
picky ;-) ) make it appear to work. But still not in IE<6. Or
Opera.

Vidar S. Ramdal

Lamberti said:
hi all,
I've got this problem.

I've got a HTML page with a background image and inside this page there are
some iframe.

Each HTML page loaded inside iframes have no background image or specific
color.

I'd like that iframes' background would be trasparent so I could see the
background image of parent HTML page.

It's possible to do it ?

I must use IFRAMEs and not DIVs

Maybe this is your solution?
http://www.southerntwilight.com/tutorials/transparentiframe.html

It claims to work in IE 5.5+, and it certainly works in Mozilla.

I also tested it in Opera, but without much luck.

Jeff Thies

Steve said:

How did you get there?

BTW, I really wanted to see Miranda's work, but I found a few script
errors along the way (well at least on on every page I looked at).

The index page is throwing VBScript dialogue. Not good as I was using NS7.1

So I've switched to IE and picked up javascript errors on the vixen
page (line 27).

All this is really getting in the way of looking over the designs.
Some of this looks like Dreamweaver burps.

Also the home page has this kind of html in it:

<center>

You may wish to fix that. It does no real harm, but it is kind of...W

Graphics are pastel, feminine and kind of dreamy. I liked...

Jeff

Steve Pugh

Jeff Thies said:
How did you get there?

Started from http://www.dhnewmedia.com/ as in SpaceGirl's sig.
First I tried the 'portfolio' link but then couldn't find anything
mentioning Vixen, so I went back to the home page had another look
around.
I took a shot in the dark and and tried 'client area' and when that
page opened up (in a new window) a link to Vixen appeared, the URL
above appeared (in a third window!).
Why SG couldn't have just posted a direct link I don't know.

Steve

SpaceGirl

Jeff said:
How did you get there?

BTW, I really wanted to see Miranda's work, but I found a few script
errors along the way (well at least on on every page I looked at).

The index page is throwing VBScript dialogue. Not good as I was using
NS7.1

So I've switched to IE and picked up javascript errors on the vixen
page (line 27).

All this is really getting in the way of looking over the designs.
Some of this looks like Dreamweaver burps.

Also the home page has this kind of html in it:

<center>

You may wish to fix that. It does no real harm, but it is kind of...W

Graphics are pastel, feminine and kind of dreamy. I liked...

Jeff

Thanks!

Vixen isn't me, that's my Turkish Princess! But I did the dhnewmedia
site, which some day when I get time I must redo!!!! It was a bit of an
experiment that site, and only bits worked... (the vbscript, btw, is
server side).

I'll post some shots of the site I'm working on at the moment in a few
days. It looks very sexy now :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)