iframe containing form submit buttons appear not active

Davido

Hi,

I have an iframe inside my main page which is loaded via multiple HTML
links (based on which link is clicked, a different HTML file populates
the iframe).

The iframe contains several forms with submit buttons like this:

<form action="https://www.whatever.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post"
target="_blank">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
<input type="hidden" name="amount" value="10.00">
<input type="image" src="pics/buy.gif" border="0" name="submit"
alt="Buy">
</form>

The problem I am having is that the active area of the button seems to
be only a few pixels wide, even though the image is the size of a
button (something like 40x30). In some cases the buttons appear
completely inactive, as if the mouseover events are not reaching the
form submit button in the iframe or the coordinates are being
interpreted incorrectly.

Any ideas on what might be happening?

Thanks!
Regards,
david

Bergamot

Davido said:
The problem I am having is that the active area of the button seems to
be only a few pixels wide

Any ideas on what might be happening?

It's not possible to tell just from looking at your code, especially a
code snippet. Post a URL.

Davido

Bergamot said:
It's not possible to tell just from looking at your code, especially a
code snippet. Post a URL.

OK, try this:
http://www.bitworksmusic.com/proto/BitWorks.html

After the page loads, click on Freehand in the left column. The right
panel iframe will load fhcatalog.html, which is a simple table
containing form submit buttons for buy mp3 and flac.
Also, the "play all" link and "+ track list" link is likewise not
working. One clue here: the play all link is "active" when the mouse
is moved to the right side of the column -- you have to fish around for
the hot spot.

Note that the other band catalogs are in various states of disarray and
suffer from the same bug(s) in varying degrees, depending on the
layour. I settled on using a table as the easiest layout method that
"should work easily" -- ha! Only the Freehand catalog is coded using a
table so far.

Anyway, thanks much for any assistance! It would be nice to know how
to diagnose these issues as they arise. I also attempted to use GWT to
replace the iframe with a GWT generated one, also with the same
results.

Regards,
david

Bergamot

Davido said:

The code is poor. You don't even have a DOCTYPE, so it triggers quirks
mode in all browsers, giving unpredictable results.
It would be nice to know how to diagnose these issues as they arise.

Write better code. ;) And get rid of all nested tables.

If you don't already have some flavor of gecko (Firefox, Seamonkey or
Netscape 7+) then go download one now. Then install the web developer
extension. There are many helpful tools in there, among which is one to
outline various types of elements. Once you see where the positioned
elements are, the cause becomes fairly obvious. Correcting it is another
matter, but I'd suggest starting over and cleaning up the code.

Tip: don't use positioning unless you fully understand what it does and
the repercussions thereof. And validate your code to eliminate syntax
errors as a possible cause of rendering issues.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html
http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/