iFrame ettiquette

Els

Alan said:
Thereby proving the usenet rule that every spelling correction will
contain at least one spelling error.

I've looked over my text three times now, and I'm not spotting a
spelling error. Can you point it out for me?

Bom dia :)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, X l e c t r i c quothed:
All of you got it wrong.

It should be:

Yo, dat be good.

I'm talkin' bout talkin' good etiquette here.

Yo mama. Adequate etiquette is good enough.

Alan J. Flavell

I've looked over my text three times now, and I'm not spotting a
spelling error. Can you point it out for me?

The difference between "das" and "dass".

(Btw, Google finds this phrase spelled correctly about 15 000 times,
and your way about 11. I think it's trying to tell us something ;-)

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Alan J. Flavell scraped:
The difference between "das" and "dass".

In German the sz ligature (ß) can be represented as either a single or
double 's' with the former being the more modern way. Els made no
mistake in using the double 's' version, and was writing in a more
text-book style.

Alan J. Flavell

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Alan J. Flavell scraped:

In German the sz ligature (ß) can be represented as

Irrelevant, since the word needed here is "das", and not "daß" - no matter
how the latter is written.

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Alan J. Flavell scraped:
Irrelevant, since the word needed here is "das", and not "daß" - no matter
how the latter is written.

Reading it again, I see you are correct as "das" refers to the article,
whereas "daß" is a conjunction. Thus "Ja, das ist gut" is the correct
spelling.

Unless you are referring to the "Yes" that is good where the double-ss
spelling would be correct ;)

Els

Dylan said:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Alan J. Flavell scraped:

Reading it again, I see you are correct as "das" refers to the article,
whereas "daß" is a conjunction. Thus "Ja, das ist gut" is the correct
spelling.

Yup - I stand corrected.
I just figured it had to be "daß" because it wasn't a demonstrative
adjective as in "that book", but I overlooked the fact a demonstrative
pronoun (as in "that is..."), still isn't spelled like a relative
pronoun (in conjunction).
Unless you are referring to the "Yes" that is good where the double-ss
spelling would be correct ;)

I think that would have needed an article, like "The Yes that's good"
(opposing the Yes that's bad :) )

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Els scraped:
I think that would have needed an article

That's what I said...
like "The Yes that's good" (opposing the Yes that's bad :) )

You mean the one with Steve Howe as opposed to the one with Trevor Rabin :p

Els

Dylan said:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Els scraped:

You mean the one with Steve Howe as opposed to the one with Trevor Rabin :p

I'll take your word for that <g>
(I barely know a couple of songs by them, never thought about the
names of the members)

X l e c t r i c

Neredbojias wrote:

"Yo mama. Adequate etiquette is good enough."

But I spelled etiquette wrong. It should have been eddiekit.

Later, Art.

Alan J. Flavell

Unless you are referring to the "Yes" that is good where the double-ss
spelling would be correct ;)

You got it! Thanks. Sorry to have made an off-topic fuss - I hadn't
realised this was going to turn into a full scale language lesson (or, to
quote Andreas P, "nobody expects the German Inquisition").

all the best

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Pete said:
Perhaps mute points are for people who have nothing to say?

I once told a boss that very line. She wasn't happy. <g> She used the
words "mute point" in speech more than once a week, and of course
pronounced it as "mute".

Alan J. Flavell

Perhaps mute points are for people who have nothing to say?

In a town where I lived for a while, quite some years ago now, the
Community Association meets at Moot House. It sure does not meet at Mute
House!!

And the theatre company are the Moot House Players. They sure don't
do everything in mime!!!

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Beauregard T. Shagnasty quothed:
I once told a boss that very line. She wasn't happy.

That's because she wasn't aligned with her karma.
Females: bossy - yes; bosses - no.
<g> She used the
words "mute point" in speech more than once a week, and of course
pronounced it as "mute".

-and if you correct them, hold onto your pants...

Jake

Dylan Parry said:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Els scraped:

That's what I said...

You mean the one with Steve Howe as opposed to the one with Trevor Rabin :p
.... unless you're old enough to remember Peter Banks (pre-Steve Howe)
[1968-1970]

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Jake scraped:
... unless you're old enough to remember Peter Banks (pre-Steve Howe)
[1968-1970]

Of course, but he was nothing special either. I usually forget about his
involvement (which would probably piss him off no end!)

--
Dylan Parry

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy
me" - Noel Coward

Patrick

If I were you I would give creadit where credit is due. I would create a
little info spot right above the iframe informing people that the info is
supplied by the group that you got it from.