IFRAME in table cell

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bram de Jong, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. Bram de Jong

    Bram de Jong Guest

    I would like to load the following document in a frame. It is a table with 3
    rows: header, scrollable iframe and footer, using 100% of the available
    space. In IE 6 it does not seem to work. The result is almost perfect but
    the footer is not displayed. Does anybody know a solution (without
    introducing additional frames)?
    Bram.

    <head>
    </head>
    style="background-color: lightgreen">
    <iframe id="12" name="we" frameborder="no" width="100%"
    height="90%" scrolling="auto" src="frametest.html"
    style="left:0; background-color: beige;"/>
    <h3>Why don't I see this footer?</h3>
    Bram de Jong, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Bram de Jong wrote:
    > I would like to load the following document in a frame. It is a table with 3
    > rows: header, scrollable iframe and footer, using 100% of the available
    > space. In IE 6 it does not seem to work. The result is almost perfect but
    > the footer is not displayed. Does anybody know a solution (without
    > introducing additional frames)?

    Are you really sure that's tabular data? It doesn't look like it.
    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Bram de Jong

    Bram de Jong Guest

    relatively positioned inline frame in a table cell.

    Bram.

    Bram de Jong, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Quoth the raven named Bram de Jong:

    [upside-down posting corrected]

    > "Leif K-Brooks" <> schreef in bericht
    >
    >> Bram de Jong wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to load the following document in a frame. It is a
    >>> table

    > with 3
    >>> rows: header, scrollable iframe and footer, using 100% of the
    >>> available space. In IE 6 it does not seem to work. The result
    >>> is almost perfect

    > but
    >>> the footer is not displayed. Does anybody know a solution
    >>> (without introducing additional frames)?

    >> Are you really sure that's tabular data? It doesn't look like it.

    > have a relatively positioned inline frame in a table cell.

    What he means is you are using tables for display purposes rather than
    what tables were intended for: data. Use CSS.

    On to your problem. What is there about this content that you can't
    simply display in the page? Do consider that text in an iframe is
    inaccessible to many. Further, I can't use my mouse wheel to scroll
    it. Or perhaps the question is: what is there about your banner logo
    and/or footer that you feel you need to keep them visible at all
    times? Consider not wasting canvas space.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 22, 2003
  5. Bram de Jong

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:11:07 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    : On to your problem. What is there about this content that you can't
    : simply display in the page? Do consider that text in an iframe is
    : inaccessible to many.

    Yep. Hate iframes more than mothers-in-law.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Nov 22, 2003
  6. Bram de Jong

    Bram de Jong Guest

    I'm designing an application for the intranet in accordance with a user
    interface specification. I'm not in a position to change the specification.
    My question is pure technical. You should not try to change the question.
    I'm looking for an answer.
    In the meantime I have found a pretty good solution: a 10%, 80%, 10% table
    followed by an iframe positioned absolutely at top 10% with height 80%.
    By the way, I have no trouble using my wheel mouse in an iframe.

    Greetings,
    Bram.

    Bram de Jong, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Quoth the raven named Bram de Jong:

    > I'm designing an application for the intranet

    You should have stated that in your first post.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 23, 2003
  8. Bram de Jong

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Bram de Jong wrote:
    > I'm designing an application for the intranet in accordance with a
    > user interface specification. I'm not in a position to change the
    > specification.

    A user interface specification should not specify the technical details.
    Normally it's up to the web builder to translate such requirements into
    HTML(CSS, PHP etc).

    > My question is pure technical. You should not try to
    > change the question. I'm looking for an answer.

    This is usenet. Not a helpdesk :)

    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 23, 2003
  9. Bram de Jong

    John W. Guest

    "Bram de Jong" <> wrote:

    >I would like to load the following document in a frame. It is a table with 3
    >rows: header, scrollable iframe and footer, using 100% of the available
    >space. In IE 6 it does not seem to work. The result is almost perfect but
    >the footer is not displayed. Does anybody know a solution (without
    >introducing additional frames)?
    >Bram.

    > <head>
    > </head>

    > style="background-color: lightgreen">

    [ soup ]

    Tip: http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/

    John OO
    --
    <http://webcel.nl/> webshopsoftware + more

    "Time is what prevents everything from happening at once"
    - John Archibald Wheeler -
    John W., Nov 23, 2003
  10. Bram de Jong

    Bram de Jong Guest

    "Nico Schuyt" <> schreef in bericht
    > Bram de Jong wrote:
    > > I'm designing an application for the intranet in accordance with a
    > > user interface specification. I'm not in a position to change the
    > > specification.

    > A user interface specification should not specify the technical details.
    > Normally it's up to the web builder to translate such requirements into
    > HTML(CSS, PHP etc).

    100% correct. That's the point I was making.

    > > My question is pure technical. You should not try to
    > > change the question. I'm looking for an answer.

    > This is usenet. Not a helpdesk :)

    You are right, but that won't stop me to ask questions.

    Bram de Jong, Nov 23, 2003
  11. Bram de Jong

    Bram de Jong Guest

    I'm designing an application for the intranet using Internet Explorer and IE
    HTML.
    The specification can't be met using HTML 4.01.

    Bram.

    Bram de Jong, Nov 23, 2003
  12. Bram de Jong

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Bram de Jong wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt schreef
    >> Bram de Jong wrote:

    >>> I'm designing an application for the intranet in accordance with a
    >>> user interface specification. I'm not in a position to change the
    >>> specification.

    >> A user interface specification should not specify the technical
    >> details. Normally it's up to the web builder to translate such
    >> requirements into HTML(CSS, PHP etc).

    > 100% correct. That's the point I was making.

    Well, if you agree, why not suggest an easier way than the tables like
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/xx.htm
    Probaly you can even ommit the div "Top". Just give the background a red
    color and the iframe a top margin.

    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 23, 2003
  13. Bram de Jong

    Bram de Jong Guest

    Thanks Nico.
    That's a nicer solution than mine. I didn't know that it would also work
    with DIV and percentages. The only flaw is that when making the window
    smaller, the footer slowly disappears. In my solution the height fractions
    remain the same when changing the size of the window.

    Bram.

    Bram de Jong, Nov 23, 2003
  14. Bram de Jong

    John W. Guest

    "Bram de Jong" <> wrote:

    [ quote repared ]

    >"John W." <no-spam@web cel.enel> schreef in bericht
    >> "Bram de Jong" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I would like to load the following document in a frame. It is a table

    >with 3
    >> >rows: header, scrollable iframe and footer, using 100% of the available
    >> >space. In IE 6 it does not seem to work. The result is almost perfect but
    >> >the footer is not displayed. Does anybody know a solution (without
    >> >introducing additional frames)?
    >> >Bram.

    >> > <head>
    >> > </head>

    >> > style="background-color: lightgreen">

    >> [ soup ]
    >>
    >> Tip: http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/
    >>

    >I'm designing an application for the intranet using Internet Explorer and IE
    >HTML.
    >The specification can't be met using HTML 4.01.
    >
    >Bram.

    Bram van de commune? :)

    Bram jongen:
    1/ you can't quote properly.
    2/ yr not designing an application, it's just a webpage.
    3/ whatever, yr specs stink.
    4/ yr using Internet Exploder + IE?

    Truste :)

    John OO

    John W., Nov 23, 2003
  15. Bram de Jong

    Bram de Jong Guest

    John,

    I don't know what you are talking about.
    You shouldn't drink so much.

    Bram de Jong, Nov 23, 2003
  16. Bram de Jong

    John W. Guest

    "Bram de Jong" <> wrote:

    >John,
    >
    >I don't know what you are talking about.

    I suspected that already > CTRL+K

    John OO

    John W., Nov 23, 2003
  17. Bram de Jong

    faria Guest

    I had the same problem, I searched a little and found a solution that
    always works (at least on IE 6 and FireFox): the iframe tag must be
    closed !!!
    instead of putting:
    <iframe id="12" name="we" frameborder="no" width="100%"
    height="90%" scrolling="auto" src="categories/index.html"
    style="left:0; background-color: beige;"/>
    I write:
    <iframe id="12" name="we" frameborder="no" width="100%"
    height="90%" scrolling="auto" src="categories/index.html"
    style="left:0; background-color: beige;"></iframe>
    and everything works perfectly !

    enjoy

    --
    faria