IFRAME in table cell

Bram de Jong

I would like to load the following document in a frame. It is a table with 3
rows: header, scrollable iframe and footer, using 100% of the available
space. In IE 6 it does not seem to work. The result is almost perfect but
the footer is not displayed. Does anybody know a solution (without
introducing additional frames)?
Bram.

<head>
</head>
style="background-color: lightgreen">
<iframe id="12" name="we" frameborder="no" width="100%"
height="90%" scrolling="auto" src="frametest.html"
style="left:0; background-color: beige;"/>
<h3>Why don't I see this footer?</h3>

Leif K-Brooks

Bram said:
I would like to load the following document in a frame. It is a table with 3
rows: header, scrollable iframe and footer, using 100% of the available
space. In IE 6 it does not seem to work. The result is almost perfect but
the footer is not displayed. Does anybody know a solution (without
introducing additional frames)?

Are you really sure that's tabular data? It doesn't look like it.

Bram de Jong

relatively positioned inline frame in a table cell.

Bram.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Bram de Jong:

[upside-down posting corrected]
have a relatively positioned inline frame in a table cell.

What he means is you are using tables for display purposes rather than
what tables were intended for: data. Use CSS.

On to your problem. What is there about this content that you can't
simply display in the page? Do consider that text in an iframe is
inaccessible to many. Further, I can't use my mouse wheel to scroll
it. Or perhaps the question is: what is there about your banner logo
and/or footer that you feel you need to keep them visible at all
times? Consider not wasting canvas space.

Sid Ismail

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:11:07 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"

: On to your problem. What is there about this content that you can't
: simply display in the page? Do consider that text in an iframe is
: inaccessible to many.

Yep. Hate iframes more than mothers-in-law.

Sid

Bram de Jong

I'm designing an application for the intranet in accordance with a user
interface specification. I'm not in a position to change the specification.
My question is pure technical. You should not try to change the question.
I'm looking for an answer.
In the meantime I have found a pretty good solution: a 10%, 80%, 10% table
followed by an iframe positioned absolutely at top 10% with height 80%.
By the way, I have no trouble using my wheel mouse in an iframe.

Greetings,
Bram.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Quoth the raven named Bram de Jong:

[upside-down posting corrected]
have a relatively positioned inline frame in a table cell.

What he means is you are using tables for display purposes rather than
what tables were intended for: data. Use CSS.

On to your problem. What is there about this content that you can't
simply display in the page? Do consider that text in an iframe is
inaccessible to many. Further, I can't use my mouse wheel to scroll
it. Or perhaps the question is: what is there about your banner logo
and/or footer that you feel you need to keep them visible at all
times? Consider not wasting canvas space.

Nico Schuyt

Bram said:
I'm designing an application for the intranet in accordance with a
user interface specification. I'm not in a position to change the
specification.

A user interface specification should not specify the technical details.
Normally it's up to the web builder to translate such requirements into
HTML(CSS, PHP etc).
My question is pure technical. You should not try to
change the question. I'm looking for an answer.

This is usenet. Not a helpdesk :)

Nico

John W.

Bram de Jong said:
I would like to load the following document in a frame. It is a table with 3
rows: header, scrollable iframe and footer, using 100% of the available
space. In IE 6 it does not seem to work. The result is almost perfect but
the footer is not displayed. Does anybody know a solution (without
introducing additional frames)?
Bram.

<head>
</head>

style="background-color: lightgreen">

[ soup ]

Tip: http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/

John OO

Bram de Jong

Nico Schuyt said:
A user interface specification should not specify the technical details.
Normally it's up to the web builder to translate such requirements into
HTML(CSS, PHP etc).

100% correct. That's the point I was making.
This is usenet. Not a helpdesk :)

You are right, but that won't stop me to ask questions.

Bram de Jong

I'm designing an application for the intranet using Internet Explorer and IE
HTML.
The specification can't be met using HTML 4.01.

Bram.

--
<http://webcel.nl/> webshopsoftware + more

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once"
- John Archibald Wheeler -

Bram de Jong

Thanks Nico.
That's a nicer solution than mine. I didn't know that it would also work
with DIV and percentages. The only flaw is that when making the window
smaller, the footer slowly disappears. In my solution the height fractions
remain the same when changing the size of the window.

Bram.

John W.

[ quote repared ]
John W. said:
Bram de Jong said:
I would like to load the following document in a frame. It is a table with 3
rows: header, scrollable iframe and footer, using 100% of the available
space. In IE 6 it does not seem to work. The result is almost perfect but
the footer is not displayed. Does anybody know a solution (without
introducing additional frames)?
Bram.

<head>
</head>

style="background-color: lightgreen">

[ soup ]

Tip: http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/
I'm designing an application for the intranet using Internet Explorer and IE
HTML.
The specification can't be met using HTML 4.01.

Bram.
Bram van de commune? :)

Bram jongen:
1/ you can't quote properly.
2/ yr not designing an application, it's just a webpage.
3/ whatever, yr specs stink.
4/ yr using Internet Exploder + IE?

Truste :)

John OO

Bram de Jong

John,

I don't know what you are talking about.
You shouldn't drink so much.

Bram.

John W. said:
[ quote repared ]
John W. said:
[...]

faria

I had the same problem, I searched a little and found a solution that
always works (at least on IE 6 and FireFox): the iframe tag must be
closed !!!
instead of putting:
<iframe id="12" name="we" frameborder="no" width="100%"
height="90%" scrolling="auto" src="categories/index.html"
style="left:0; background-color: beige;"/>
I write:
<iframe id="12" name="we" frameborder="no" width="100%"
height="90%" scrolling="auto" src="categories/index.html"
style="left:0; background-color: beige;"></iframe>
and everything works perfectly !

enjoy