IFrame validation

Jukka K. Korpela

shapper said:
I created two online examples. One with IFrame and the other with
Object:
http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/DocIFrame.html
http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/DocObject.html

Neither of them shows anything useful on my IE 8 - just an icon of a broken
object.
I think Object is the way to go ...

Why? Iframe has had browser support much longer. What do you expect to
achieve by using Object instead?
With Object I was able to reduce the error with the HTML tag.

That's just a matter of doctype. The Strict doctypes don't contain Iframe.
The validator reports problems a bit oddly: it first complains about an
attribute of the Iframe element, then some messages later that the Iframe
element itself is not defined at all in the document type definition.
Bu I still have errors with the data string.

You have errors with ampersands. Any "&" character that does being an entity
reference or a character reference should be represented as "&" (and
_must_, by the syntax rules, be represented that way or in some equivalent
way when followed by a letter).

shapper

Neither of them shows anything useful on my IE 8 - just an icon of a broken
object.

Go to your IE8 options and add http://docs.google.com to trusted web
sites
Why? Iframe has had browser support much longer. What do you expect to
achieve by using Object instead?

Because it seems that it validates in XHTML strict ... not?
You have errors with ampersands. Any "&" character that does being an entity
reference or a character reference should be represented as "&" (and
_must_, by the syntax rules, be represented that way or in some equivalent
way when followed by a letter).

Yes, I had correct that on my web project but I forgot it on the
example I posted online.
So I have the following:
http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/DocIFrame.html

It validates ... under XHTML transitional ...
I just wanted to be able to use strict ... but well.

dorayme

shapper said:
I just wanted to be able to use strict ... but well.

So use Strict and have it invalid. What do you think will happen? The
American troops in Afghanistan will still be there, the society will
still be dominated and distorted by very corrupt men. Or use
Transitional HTML 4 to salve your conscience. It will not matter at all
for anything you are likely doing. What you should be doing is cooking
for me but I seem quite unable to make you do this?

Andy Dingley

Hello,

I am working on a web site with XHTML Strict.

You're not, you're working with XHTML Transitional, because you're
using <iframe> in it.
You've just mislabelled it.

Best option is probably to use XHTML Transitional markup (with
<iframe>), use that doctype, use a doctype declaration that gives
Standards mode rendering, and have prose project standards that say
"use <iframe>, but don't use <font>" with search regexes to back this
up.

There's nothing _wrong_ with using Transitional doctypes. It doesn't
make you less of a web developer.

Jukka K. Korpela

shapper said:
Go to your IE8 options and add http://docs.google.com to trusted web
sites

I cannot - I see "Controlled by company IT". Well, I might. There are lots
of people who can't change their browser's security settings - at work at
least. Whether this matters in your case depends on what you are doing and
for whom (yourself? your family? your company's intranet? the world).

And I don't know what the problem was really about - your page
http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/DocIFrame.html
now shows something even on IE 8.

Anyway, I don't see what you are up to. Viewing a PDF document as forced
into an inline frame and rendered via a primitive viewer (selected by the
author, not the user) is close to a usability and accessibility nightmare.
Because it seems that it validates in XHTML strict ... not?

It does, but why would that matter?

Travis Newbury

Is it possible to have this validated?

The validator is a TOOL to help you solve issues NOT a goal.
Thousands/millions of non-validating website work perfectly well in
all browsers.

If something is not displaying the way you think it should, use the
validator to help you correct your problems. If the page works as
expected, who gives a shit if the validator says the Iframe is not
supported (or what ever)

Tool, not goal. Truth is, none of your visitors know what validation
is, or give a shit if your page does.

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
The validator is a TOOL to help you solve issues NOT a goal.
Thousands/millions of non-validating website work perfectly well in
all browsers.

If something is not displaying the way you think it should, use the
validator to help you correct your problems. If the page works as
expected, who gives a shit if the validator says the Iframe is not
supported (or what ever)

Tool, not goal. Truth is, none of your visitors know what validation
is, or give a shit if your page does.

Well said, the public out there have no idea at all what goes on in the
kitchen. They care only about how it affects them. When the tester guy
(some illegal immigrant illegally and cruelly hired by the management to
taste the food) does *not* die on the spot and the cook wipes the gravy
off the edges of the plate with his hanky before the waiter grabs it to
take through the swinging door to the diners...