iframe z-index with non html documents

Toni

Hello,

Is it possible that the z-index property for an iframe doesn't work
when the SRC attribute is linked to a non html document? (i.e. a pdf
document)

That is what I am experiencing. I have a dropdown menu and an iframe
and I want the menu always to be displayed above any object in the
page. When the iframe is empty or it has an html page within, I can
achieve this by setting the z-index property in the menu(div) higher
than the one in the iframe, but when I try to display a pdf document
in the iframe (what I really want to do), the menu is displayed below
the iframe.

Has anybody come up with this problem before?
Any help will be really apreciated.

(I am using IE 6.0)

Randy Webb

Toni said:
Hello,

Is it possible that the z-index property for an iframe doesn't work
when the SRC attribute is linked to a non html document? (i.e. a pdf
document)

What this has to do with Javascript is beyond me.
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets
That is what I am experiencing. I have a dropdown menu and an iframe
and I want the menu always to be displayed above any object in the
page. When the iframe is empty or it has an html page within, I can
achieve this by setting the z-index property in the menu(div) higher
than the one in the iframe, but when I try to display a pdf document
in the iframe (what I really want to do), the menu is displayed below
the iframe.

I believe, but could be wrong, that you will find that the Adobe Acrobat
Reader is a window of its own. Meaning, it doesn't play by the z-index
rules because it is not part of the browser anymore.

Grant Wagner

Toni said:
Hello,

Is it possible that the z-index property for an iframe doesn't work
when the SRC attribute is linked to a non html document? (i.e. a pdf
document)

That is what I am experiencing. I have a dropdown menu and an iframe
and I want the menu always to be displayed above any object in the
page. When the iframe is empty or it has an html page within, I can
achieve this by setting the z-index property in the menu(div) higher
than the one in the iframe, but when I try to display a pdf document
in the iframe (what I really want to do), the menu is displayed below
the iframe.

Has anybody come up with this problem before?
Any help will be really apreciated.

(I am using IE 6.0)

The PDF document you are viewing in the iframe is placed there using the
PDF viewer ActiveX control. The PDF viewer ActiveX control is a windowed
element, and as such, appears on top of all other elements (same as
<select>).

More information about how z-index works in IE for various HTML elements
at <url: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177378
/>