    webpage at different screen resolutions? I've just created a site using
    IFRAMES and they move position when viewing in a different resolution...

    Thanks

    Exit12, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Exit12

    Mitja Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:00:16 GMT, Exit12 <>
    wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is it possible to keep an iframe in the ame place when viewing the
    > webpage at different screen resolutions?

    Almost certainly. URL of your example?

    BTW, iframes are usually a bad idea.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Nov 28, 2004

  3. Exit12

    Karl Core Guest

    "Exit12" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Is it possible to keep an iframe in the ame place when viewing the
    > webpage at different screen resolutions? I've just created a site using
    > IFRAMES and they move position when viewing in a different resolution...

    An URL would help.

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":

    Karl Core, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Exit12

    Richard Guest

    Exit12 wrote:

    > Hi

    > Is it possible to keep an iframe in the ame place when viewing the
    > webpage at different screen resolutions? I've just created a site using
    > IFRAMES and they move position when viewing in a different resolution...

    > Thanks

    Frames suck and iframes even more.
    What you should try to work on is a division using the position absolute
    route.
    Then instead of frames, you can call on a layer using z-index and keep the
    positioning from wandering about.
    Or make up pages for each of the probable screen resolutions.

    Richard, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Exit12 wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is it possible to keep an iframe in the ame place when viewing the
    > webpage at different screen resolutions?

    What is the same place? The same distance from one edge? The same distance
    from some other element? Distance in what sense? Pixels? Characters? etc
    etc etc.

    I'd suggest you forget about using frames in the first place:

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

    .... and stop trying to make pages look that _same_ at different window sizes
    (resolution is irrelevant, window size isn't):

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Nov 28, 2004
  6. On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:38:07 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    > Exit12 wrote:
    >
    > > Hi

    > > Is it possible to keep an iframe in the ame place when viewing the
    > > webpage at different screen resolutions? I've just created a site

    > using
    > > IFRAMES and they move position when viewing in a different

    > resolution...
    >
    > > Thanks

    > Frames suck and iframes even more.

    O my &deity; All this

    > Or make up pages for each of the probable screen resolutions.

    and this too. Where does it all come from.

    It's getting too much for me.

    *plonk*

    --
    Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
    Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>

    Barbara de Zoete, Nov 28, 2004
  7. Exit12

    Karl Core Guest

    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:38:07 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:
    >
    >> Exit12 wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi

    >> > Is it possible to keep an iframe in the ame place when viewing the
    >> > webpage at different screen resolutions? I've just created a site

    >> using
    >> > IFRAMES and they move position when viewing in a different

    >> resolution...
    >>
    >> > Thanks

    >> Frames suck and iframes even more.

    > O my &deity; All this
    >
    >> Or make up pages for each of the probable screen resolutions.
    >>

    > and this too. Where does it all come from.
    >
    > It's getting too much for me.
    >
    > *plonk*

    Yes. You should definitely killfile all those whose opinions with which you
    disagree!

    Karl Core, Nov 28, 2004
  8. Exit12

    Exit12 Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > Exit12 wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Is it possible to keep an iframe in the ame place when viewing the
    > > webpage at different screen resolutions?

    > What is the same place? The same distance from one edge? The same distance
    > from some other element? Distance in what sense? Pixels? Characters? etc
    > etc etc.
    >
    > I'd suggest you forget about using frames in the first place:
    >
    > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames
    >
    > ... and stop trying to make pages look that _same_ at different window

    sizes
    > (resolution is irrelevant, window size isn't):
    >
    > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    > Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    Sorry folks my mistake, I am using the div tag to set layers so I can
    position certain items on my site. Problem is when the window is
    resized, the items stay where they are.

    How do I get a layer to re-position itself when the window is resized
    or a different size?

    I don;t have a link as it's not uploaded to webspace yet.

    Thanks

    Exit12, Nov 28, 2004
  9. On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:00:16 GMT, Exit12 <>
    wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is it possible to keep an iframe in the ame place when viewing the
    > webpage at different screen resolutions?

    Screen resolution is usually not relevant. What matters for the looks of
    your pages is the size of the viewport of the browser they are shown in.
    Resizing this viewport will effect the looks of your pages.

    > I've just created a site using
    > IFRAMES and they move position when viewing in a different resolution...

    Well, yes. That is possibly correct and expected behaviour.
    It might help if we could have a look at your page and see the phenomena
    itself.

    While you're at it, google for 'liquid design' or ' fluid design'. You
    might also want to check out the information at
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/visuren.html>.

    Just remember that there is no way you can create a pixel perfect design.
    There is no way you know how the information in your pages is going to be
    transfered to your visitor. Is s/he going to see it in a graphical UA? Or
    perhaps s/he gets it in a text-only UA? Or s/he uses a screen reader? You
    don't know. Even if your pages get shown in a graphical UA, there are many
    of those with all various features (not all of them pleasant to a web
    designer).

    Barbara de Zoete, Nov 28, 2004
  10. On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:13:58 -0500, Karl Core <>
    wrote:

    > "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message

    >>> using
    >>> resolution...

    >>> Frames suck and iframes even more.

    >> O my &deity; All this
    >>
    >>> Or make up pages for each of the probable screen resolutions.
    >>>

    >> and this too. Where does it all come from.
    >>
    >> It's getting too much for me.
    >>
    >> *plonk*

    > Yes. You should definitely killfile all those whose opinions with which
    > you disagree!

    This is not about disagree or agree. This is about mister Richard giving
    out unfunded, unargumented and partly just lame advise.

    Barbara de Zoete, Nov 28, 2004
  11. Exit12

    > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:13:58 -0500, Karl Core <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message

    >>> O my &deity; All this

    >>> and this too. Where does it all come from.
    >>>
    >>> It's getting too much for me.
    >>>
    >>> *plonk*

    >> Yes. You should definitely killfile all those whose opinions with which
    >> you disagree!
    >>

    > This is not about disagree or agree. This is about mister Richard giving
    > out unfunded, unargumented and partly just lame advise.

    I think it is obvious that Richard's recommendation of making pages for each
    screen resolution was sarcasm.
    His argument that "Frames suck and iframes even more." is well founded and
    well argued - if not by himself, definitely by others.

    Karl Core, Nov 28, 2004
  12. Exit12 wrote:

    <snip>

    Please trim irrelevent material from your quotes - especially sigs.

    > Sorry folks my mistake, I am using the div tag to set layers so I can
    > position certain items on my site. Problem is when the window is
    > resized, the items stay where they are.

    > How do I get a layer to re-position itself when the window is resized
    > or a different size?

    You avoid specifying lengths in units which are not relative to the window
    size.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Nov 28, 2004
  13. On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:32:01 -0500, Karl Core <>
    wrote:

    > "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:13:58 -0500, Karl Core <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes. You should definitely killfile all those whose opinions with which
    >>> you disagree!
    >>>

    >> This is not about disagree or agree. This is about mister Richard giving
    >> out unfunded, unargumented and partly just lame advise.

    > I think it is obvious that Richard's recommendation of making pages for
    > each screen resolution was sarcasm.

    Well, no. That was not obvious. At least to me it wasn't. Remember that it
    can be hard to spot sarcasm, cynical remarkt, irony if corresponding
    outside your native language.

    > His argument that "Frames suck and iframes even more." is well founded
    > and well argued - if not by himself, definitely by others.

    It might be. But because he never ever refers to any of those arguments,
    who's to know. Besides, how are iframes worse than frames?

    Barbara de Zoete, Nov 28, 2004
  14. Karl Core wrote:

    > I think it is obvious that Richard's recommendation of making pages
    > for each screen resolution was sarcasm.

    Having noted the quality of Richard's advice over the years, I really
    doubt if it was sarcasm. ;-)

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 28, 2004
  15. Exit12

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > how are iframes worse than frames?

    (Slightly) less well supported.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Nov 28, 2004
  16. Exit12

    Karl Core Guest

    > Karl Core wrote:
    >
    >> I think it is obvious that Richard's recommendation of making pages
    >> for each screen resolution was sarcasm.

    > Having noted the quality of Richard's advice over the years, I really
    > doubt if it was sarcasm. ;-)

    You're right. It was the optimist in me speaking.

    Karl Core, Nov 28, 2004
  17. Exit12

    kchayka Guest

    on 2004-11-28, Karl Core wrote:

    > I think it is obvious that Richard's recommendation of making pages for
    > each screen resolution was sarcasm.

    I think you haven't noticed that Richard's posts in this group are
    generally full of ghastly advice. I'd be much more inclined to think he
    was dead serious when he made the suggestion.

    kchayka, Nov 28, 2004
  18. Exit12

    Richard Guest

    kchayka wrote:

    > on 2004-11-28, Karl Core wrote:
    >>
    >> I think it is obvious that Richard's recommendation of making pages for
    >> each screen resolution was sarcasm.

    > I think you haven't noticed that Richard's posts in this group are
    > generally full of ghastly advice. I'd be much more inclined to think he
    > was dead serious when he made the suggestion.

    Of course I'm dead serious about it.
    After all, just how many different combinations of screen resolutions can
    there be?
    By the time you wrote out a page for each one, you'd have run out web space.

    It''s bad advice from me because some witch hunters have hounded me over the
    years.
    But if Toby, or Brucie, or somebody else says the same thing, then it's good
    advice.

    Richard, Nov 28, 2004
  19. Exit12

    Richard Guest

    Exit12 wrote:

    > "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    >> Exit12 wrote:
    >>
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Is it possible to keep an iframe in the ame place when viewing the
    > >> webpage at different screen resolutions?

    >> What is the same place? The same distance from one edge? The same
    >> distance from some other element? Distance in what sense? Pixels?
    >>Characters? etc etc etc. I'd suggest you forget about using frames in the
    >>first
    >>place: http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames ... and
    >>stop trying to make pages look that _same_ at different window

    > sizes
    >> (resolution is irrelevant, window size isn't):
    >>
    >> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
    >>

    >> --
    >> David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>
    >> <http://dorward.me.uk/> Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    > Sorry folks my mistake, I am using the div tag to set layers so I can
    > position certain items on my site. Problem is when the window is
    > resized, the items stay where they are.

    > How do I get a layer to re-position itself when the window is resized
    > or a different size?

    > I don;t have a link as it's not uploaded to webspace yet.

    > Thanks

    AS DD suggested, use inches or mm instead of pixels.
    Then it does not matter what the resolution is.
    Unless you want the division in the center of the screen at all times, for
    example.
    You can do that with javascript but the user can turn off javascript.
    To get around that, do it in php.
    Or, you can just set the page to 800x600 and forget about it.

    Richard, Nov 28, 2004
  20. Exit12

    rf Guest

    Richard wrote:>
    kchayka wrote:

    > > I think you haven't noticed that Richard's posts in this group are
    > > generally full of ghastly advice. I'd be much more inclined to think he
    > > was dead serious when he made the suggestion.

    > Of course I'm dead serious about it.
    > After all, just how many different combinations of screen resolutions can
    > there be?

    Screen relolution has absolutely nothing to do with the matter. It is
    browser window size that matters.

    Lets see. My primary screen is 1600 x 1280 (lets ignore the other two
    screens for the moment). So a window can be that big. The minimum width for
    a browser window is, on my system is 100 pixels. (we can safely ignore the Y
    direction, that is taken care of by the scroll bar).

    So, we have 1500 possible windows widths. That means 1500 web pages have to
    be created.

    > By the time you wrote out a page for each one, you'd have run out web

    space.

    Indeed.

    > It''s bad advice from me because some witch hunters have hounded me over

    the
    > years.

    ROFL.

    > But if Toby, or Brucie, or somebody else says the same thing, then it's

    good
    > advice.

    Toby or brucie or anybody else would not say the same thing. All of then
    would say anysizedesign.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.