    to support them. Some of our applications rely on them and they are handy
    but we are starting to rebuild the apps in a more accessible and compliant
    way so I would like to know where we stand with IFrames. Regards, Chris.

    Chris, Mar 4, 2007

  2. Chris

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Mar 4, 10:43 pm, "Chris" <> wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what browser support is for IFrames is. I was always
    > under the impression they were a MS propriatory feature, but Firefox seems
    > to support them. Some of our applications rely on them and they are handy
    > but we are starting to rebuild the apps in a more accessible and compliant
    > way so I would like to know where we stand with IFrames. Regards, Chris.

    Personally I would dump them in favor of server side includes, or PHP
    includes and use CSS if you still want the frames based look.

    Chaddy2222, Mar 4, 2007

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    We design web applications and it is handy to post to a frame rather than
    post to a page and have to remember the state of all the controls. They
    don't get used for layout purposes.

    Chris, Mar 4, 2007
  4. Scripsit Chris:

    > Can anyone tell me what browser support is for IFrames is.

    Quite good these days. The main problem with iframe is the frame idea, which
    deviates from the way web pages normally work.

    > I was
    > always under the impression they were a MS propriatory feature, but
    > Firefox seems to support them.

    Microsoft invented them, but they were added to HTML 4 and other browser
    vendors have followed suit. The HTML specs declare iframe as deprecated,
    though.

    > Some of our applications rely on them
    > and they are handy but we are starting to rebuild the apps in a more
    > accessible and compliant way so I would like to know where we stand
    > with IFrames.

    This really depends on what you are using iframe for. On non-supporting
    browsers, a link with target="foo" where "foo" is the name of an iframe
    might open in a window named "foo" or in the current window, so the link
    still works. If you use iframe to include content, via the src attribute,
    you should include a link to the content as the content of the iframe
    element, as a fallback.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 4, 2007
  5. Chris

    Jemdam.com Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me what browser support is for IFrames is. I was always
    > under the impression they were a MS propriatory feature, but Firefox seems
    > to support them. Some of our applications rely on them and they are handy
    > but we are starting to rebuild the apps in a more accessible and compliant
    > way so I would like to know where we stand with IFrames. Regards, Chris.

    Hi Chris,

    I think you are safe to use them, 95% and over of most of my server traffic
    will work. There are other ways of avoiding them. I personal use them a lot
    when I want to provide a cut and paste system for another webmaster to use.
    Then it is always 3 lines of code (or 2!) no matter how complex the
    application I make. I can also change my code and the others are updated.
    Peoples views will be divided but I would go for the IFRAME over some devils
    work Javascript :) Let the flaming begin!

    David http://www.binaryincome.com

    Jemdam.com, Mar 6, 2007