ignore new line for long string

ngoc

Hi
I have a very long string. Code will be ugly (not easy to navigate for
reading) if I write it in a line.
I want to write it in many lines, but treat as one line long string. How
can I do it ?
I used \ to escape new line, but it did not help.
Thanks
ngoc

Anno Siegel

Stephen Hildrey said:
code:

use strict;
use warnings;

(my $long = <<EOLONG) =~ tr/\n/ /;
This is a
really really really
long string
EOLONG

print $long, "\n";

===

output:

This is a really really really long string

What if the string is supposed to contain newlines?

my $long = 'This is a' .
' really really really' .
' long string';
print "$long\n";

Anno

Stephen Hildrey

ngoc said:
Hi
I have a very long string. Code will be ugly (not easy to navigate for
reading) if I write it in a line.
I want to write it in many lines, but treat as one line long string. How
can I do it ?

code:

use strict;
use warnings;

(my $long = <<EOLONG) =~ tr/\n/ /;
This is a
really really really
long string
EOLONG

print $long, "\n";

===

output:

This is a really really really long string

Hope that helps,
Steve

ced

ngoc said:
I have a very long string. Code will be ugly (not easy to navigate for
reading) if I write it in a line.
I want to write it in many lines, but treat as one line long string. How
can I do it ?
I used \ to escape new line, but it did not help.

If you mean breaking up a long, unwieldy string assignment,
here are a few ways:

my $string = "part1..." . "part2..." . "part3..." # using dot
op.
. "final part..."

( my $string = <<END ) =~ s/^(.*)\n/$1/mg; # using here doc
part 1...
part 2...
part 3
END

my $string;
$string .= $_ for ( "part1...", "part2...", # dot op. variant
"part3 ... );

hth,

Noname

Anno said:
What if the string is supposed to contain newlines?

my $long = 'This is a' .
' really really really' .
' long string';
print "$long\n";

Anno

Then OP is supposed to use his head, Stephen tought him where to fish

Anno Siegel

Noname said:
Then OP is supposed to use his head, Stephen tought him where to fish

Not really. He showed a solution using a here-document, which has no
advantages over "" in the representation of long lines. Deleting the
line-feeds after the fact is a possibility, but as I pointed out, it
doesn't allow for the string to contain the occasional line feed, so
it has restrictions.

The standard solution is to concatenate the string from manageable
pieces.

Anno