    Watching the cutting edge of yesterday replay--in virtual reality, right
    before my eyes--in real time!
    Thirty year old technology--wasn't it amazing?
    John Smith, Jun 7, 2005

  2. John Smith

    SpaceGirl Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > How about methods to ignore webpages which have protections against
    > viewing html code, images, etc...
    > As if you are searching for examples and wish to view such--makes little
    > sense in going to all these protected pages. Indeed, if one finds
    > he/she is able to get by in the world without such pages--best just skip
    > them.
    >
    > Also, with so many intensely graphic and complex pages, how would one be
    > able to set up so you can skip webpages which are too demanding and take
    > too long to load?
    >
    > Regards,
    > John

    All of that is relative, so how would you imagine you go about it? How
    would you detect if a page is protected? How can you tell the size of a
    page until it has already been sent to your computer? These are all
    things that are not possible with regular HTML.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jun 7, 2005

  3. SpaceGirl wrote:

    > John Smith wrote:
    >> How about methods to ignore webpages which have protections against
    >> viewing html code, images, etc...
    >> As if you are searching for examples and wish to view such--makes little
    >> sense in going to all these protected pages. Indeed, if one finds
    >> he/she is able to get by in the world without such pages--best just skip
    >> them.
    >>
    >> Also, with so many intensely graphic and complex pages, how would one be
    >> able to set up so you can skip webpages which are too demanding and take
    >> too long to load?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> John
    >>

    > All of that is relative, so how would you imagine you go about it? How
    > would you detect if a page is protected? How can you tell the size of a
    > page until it has already been sent to your computer? These are all
    > things that are not possible with regular HTML.

    Depending on how you navigate through these pages, you might be able to
    adopt some tricks. To rule out heavy pages, use Google (et al.) estimation
    of page size in kilobytes and just skip pages that appear overloaded.

    With all the Firefox extensions, I am sure there are tools out there that
    can help you achieve what you want, but they will be bandwidth-damanding.
    One thing I can imagine is crawling the site currently viewed and binding
    some previews or statistics to links. The webmaster/s will dislike it, your
    ISP will dislike it and your computer will use up its entire
    network/computational capacity in the process.

    In summery, either you crawl the site or you use the service of a crawler
    that has done all the job for you and gives you some useful figures.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jun 7, 2005
  4. John Smith

    Mitja Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:00:02 +0200, John Smith <>
    wrote:

    > Also, with so many intensely graphic and complex pages, how would one be
    > able to set up so you can skip webpages which are too demanding and take
    > too long to load?

    Well, Opera and Firefox allow you to turn images on/off easily, but that's
    about all I can think of...
    Mitja, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Mitja wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:00:02 +0200, John Smith
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Also, with so many intensely graphic and complex pages, how would one be
    >> able to set up so you can skip webpages which are too demanding and take
    >> too long to load?

    > Well, Opera and Firefox allow you to turn images on/off easily, but
    > that's about all I can think of...

    Use Firefox/MOzilla with Ad Block. It rocks! Esp in killfiling useless
    flash advertizements.

    Best
    Animesh Kumar, Jun 7, 2005