IHelp: a bugreport and an extension (mocked-up repost)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Cs. Henk, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Cs. Henk

    Cs. Henk Guest

    Hi!

    A couple of days ago I posted this stuff to comp.lang.ruby, but it
    didn't hit the ml since then, so I repost it. (As even Ilmari didn't
    react to the original posts, I consider them lost.)

    * Bugreport:

    Array.help just throws the following at you:

    ---------------------------------------------- Class: TSortArray < Array
    (no description...)

    * Extension:

    ihelp-dump.rb, you find it at http://www.creo.hu/~csaba/ruby/ with
    generated rdoc.

    It enables you to dump rendered docs to any object which features #<<.

    Also comes with the handy methods for resetting the formatter engine and
    to output all docs belonging to a given class/module.

    Csaba

    Cs. Henk, Mar 3, 2005

  2. Hi,

    On 4.3.2005, at 00:34, Cs. Henk wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > A couple of days ago I posted this stuff to comp.lang.ruby, but it
    > didn't hit the ml since then, so I repost it. (As even Ilmari didn't
    > react to the original posts, I consider them lost.)

    I hear the news-ml gateway has been less than cooperative lately.

    > * Bugreport:
    >
    > Array.help just throws the following at you:
    >
    > ---------------------------------------------- Class: TSortArray <
    > Array
    > (no description...)
    > -

    Thanks for the bug report, how to reproduce this?
    Particularly: what architecture, loaded libraries?

    It's strange though, Array.help really shouldn't go _down_
    in the inheritance hierarchy. First time for everything I suppose.

    > * Extension:
    >
    > ihelp-dump.rb, you find it at http://www.creo.hu/~csaba/ruby/ with
    > generated rdoc.
    >
    > It enables you to dump rendered docs to any object which features #<<.
    >
    > Also comes with the handy methods for resetting the formatter engine
    > and
    > to output all docs belonging to a given class/module.
    >
    > Csaba

    Thank you for this aswell, it looked like it might come handy on a
    quick glance.
    I'll look into it more once I wake up...

    Ilmari
    --
    66. The regions beyond these places are either difficult of access
    because of their excessive winters and great cold, or else cannot be

    Ilmari Heikkinen, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Cs. Henk

    Cs. Henk Guest

    On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:52:15AM +0900, Ilmari Heikkinen wrote:
    > Thanks for the bug report, how to reproduce this?
    > Particularly: what architecture, loaded libraries?

    Hm, I truly don't know. I have a Gentoo system with ruby-1.8.2.

    I just type "env -i ruby -rihelp -e 'Array.help'" at the prompt, and
    this happens. "ri Array" works fine. Neither is a problem with the
    ruby-cvs ebuild.

    Hm, I looked around it, I have a

    /usr/share/ri/1.8/system/TSortArray/cdesc-TSortArray.yaml

    file which appears to be something that shouldn't be there/ I don't know
    how is this generated (I don't have this file either in my 1.9
    installations or in an other 1.8.2 installation). I wonder is there
    anybody else with such a file around?

    > It's strange though, Array.help really shouldn't go _down_
    > in the inheritance hierarchy. First time for everything I suppose.

    Apart from that flaw in my installation, this is why it still can
    inidcate a bug in IHelp: why does it give priority to this stub subclass
    documentation? Add to this that ri doesn't do that...

    Here is the content of cdesc-TSortArray.yaml if you want to test the
    behaviour of IHelp in the presence of that file:

    --- !ruby/object:RI::ClassDescription
    attributes: []
    class_methods: []
    comment:
    constants: []
    full_name: TSortArray
    includes: []
    instance_methods: []
    name: TSortArray
    superclass: Array

    > >* Extension:
    > >
    > >ihelp-dump.rb, you find it at http://www.creo.hu/~csaba/ruby/ with
    > >generated rdoc.
    > >
    > >It enables you to dump rendered docs to any object which features #<<.

    (snip)

    > Thank you for this aswell, it looked like it might come handy on a
    > quick glance.

    Well, in
    http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/127842
    you told me that by your knowledge piping in the output of ri is the
    only way to get the rendered text, so I had to find a better way of
    doing that, of course :)

    Csaba

    Cs. Henk, Mar 4, 2005