IHttpHandler.IsReusable

bryan

I can't find much info on what makes an instance of the handler
reusable. If it maintains no internal state, I would assume that it is
safe to be reusable - correct? I have one that grabs a value from the
Session cache, twiddles some bits, and then writes the value back.
Since everything is a local variable (except the one from the cache)
am I safe in marking it as reusable?

Thanks,
Bryan

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Bryan,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the question about the IHttpHandler.IsReusable property, it is
used to indicate whether we can use a single HttpHandler instance to
process multiple concurrent requests. Actually, we can consider each
client requests as a worker thread on the serverside when being processed
through the ASP.NET pipeline.. So if we want to mark our HttpHandler as
IsReusable= ture, we need to make sure that the code in our HttpHandler's
ProcessRequest method is threadsafe. In otherwords, the code in the
ProcessRequest should not rely on any states or data which could be
modified by other concurrent request threads (e.g. the Httphandler class's
non-static member fields....)...

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed)
| Subject: IHttpHandler.IsReusable
| Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:53:20 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I can't find much info on what makes an instance of the handler
| reusable. If it maintains no internal state, I would assume that it is
| safe to be reusable - correct? I have one that grabs a value from the
| Session cache, twiddles some bits, and then writes the value back.
| Since everything is a local variable (except the one from the cache)
| am I safe in marking it as reusable?
|
| Thanks,
| Bryan

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Bryan,

Have you got any further idea on this or does the things in my last reply
helps you a little? if there're anything else we can help, please feel free
to post here. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:09:29 GMT
| Subject: RE: IHttpHandler.IsReusable
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Bryan,
|
| Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| Regarding on the question about the IHttpHandler.IsReusable property, it
is
| used to indicate whether we can use a single HttpHandler instance to
| process multiple concurrent requests. Actually, we can consider each
| client requests as a worker thread on the serverside when being processed
| through the ASP.NET pipeline.. So if we want to mark our HttpHandler as
| IsReusable= ture, we need to make sure that the code in our HttpHandler's
| ProcessRequest method is threadsafe. In otherwords, the code in the
| ProcessRequest should not rely on any states or data which could be
| modified by other concurrent request threads (e.g. the Httphandler
class's
| non-static member fields....)...
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: (e-mail address removed)
| | Subject: IHttpHandler.IsReusable
| | Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:53:20 -0600
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| |
| | I can't find much info on what makes an instance of the handler
| | reusable. If it maintains no internal state, I would assume that it is
| | safe to be reusable - correct? I have one that grabs a value from the
| | Session cache, twiddles some bits, and then writes the value back.
| | Since everything is a local variable (except the one from the cache)
| | am I safe in marking it as reusable?
| |
| | Thanks,
| | Bryan