IIR filter implementation on FPGA

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am implementing an IIR butterworth lowpass filter on FPGA. I have already done it in MATLAB/SIMULINK and now implementing it in VHDL. I have to use fixed-point arithmetic for my filter coefficients and the input output. I am taking 16-bit input with 15-bit fractional part and 1 sign bit and 16-bit output with 1 sign bit , 4 integer bits and 11 fractional bits. and the same wordlength of 16-bits for coefficients (1 sign bit, 1-bit (or 2 for a couple of them) inetger part and 14-bits (or 13-bit for a couple of them) fractional part.). I was having problems with it but now, I have converted the coefficients to signed fixed-point binary format. So, just using them as constants.

I already have the fixed point values for the coefficients and as they're just 5 coefficients, I have just taken them as constants. Do you think it is alright? Well, then I am giving input(16-bit {1 sign bit and 15 fractional bits}) from the switches and buttons on the Spartan-3 board. As there are just 4 1-bit push buttons and an 8-bit switch (12-bits altogether, and then I am keeping 4 bits constant). Then the output is also 16-bit which includes 1 sign bit, 4 integer bits and 11 fractional bits. Now, I have used the 7-segment display to show the output in such a way that the leftmost digit is showing the hex value of 4 integer bits, and then a dot to show decimal point and then the next 3 digits for fractional part but as there are 11-bits in fractional part, so, I have padded a zero at the end of fractional part just to make it a 4-bit value for the hex-decoder. And then I am using the last dp (dot/decimal point on 7-seg display to indicate the sign of the number).

So, I am only giving input from the board and getting the output and not using any RAM/ROM or multiplier blocks, I have only used constants and the operators ('+', '-', '*') and left it all to the VHDL to do all the intermediate arithmetic and use the hardware components as required, will it be fine?

Do you think it is a good design?

Now, I was wondering what will be the best option if I wanted to demonstrate the filter operation more clearly. I mean these are just numbers that I am showing on the 7-seg display. But if I want to give a sinusoidal input and get a filtered waveform at the output.

1)I have got the code for vhdl sine generator.
2)Showing the ouput on the oscilloscope? it sounds a bit tedious.
3)Do you think interfacing a microphone and speaker would work for this design (and for Spartan-3)?
4)Or giving the output back to the simulator and showing the waveform would do?
5)or any other application/test case you would suggest for IIR filter implementation on FPGA?
Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Kami

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Give some response at least please?
It looks like nobody's viewed my post?

Reaction score
VHDL IIR filter implementation using FPGA

Sir,
Please give me necessary information on the titled topic

Reaction score
Please give details on IIR filter implementation using fpga.The system is having an AC content of 200 Hz and 200 mV amplitude while it is provided with a nearly DC content of less than 5 Hz of amplitude 4V. The sampling frequency is 10KHz and clock frequency is 10MHz The requirement is to remove the AC component.Also add some information regarding matlab and VHDL programs

Ask a Question