    Network Service or is there a different way to grant the correct permissions
    to make our application run.

    Thanks,

    DTM, Jun 19, 2006

  2. re:
    > How do we run this new application pool under Network Service

    The Network Service account is specific to IIS 6.0.
    I don't think you can create a Network Service account under IIS 5.x.

    re:
    > is there a different way to grant the correct permissions to make our application run

    The best way to grant the correct permissions for 2.0 is :

    aspnet_regiis -GA machinename\accountname
    or
    aspnet_regiis -GA domainname\accountname

    Alternately, you can manually grant whichever account you're
    running ASP.NET as, the permisions which this article enumerates :

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kwzs111e.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 19, 2006

  3. DTM

    DTM Guest

    Juan,

    Here is the error I get in Event Viewer when trying to run our application.
    How to a grant ASP.NET user 'read' permissions to the GAC?

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1089
    Date: 6/19/2006
    Time: 9:37:32 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: CQL-GR-ST01
    Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
    have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access
    is denied.

    Thanks,

    DTM, Jun 19, 2006
  4. You can't set permissions on the GAC directory via Windows Explorer.

    Use a commandline utility called CACLS.

    Open up a command window and run the following command :
    CACLS %WINDIR%\assembly /e /t /p [DOMAIN|MACHINENAME]\useraccount:R

    ....substituting either your domain name (for a domain account) or machine name (for a local
    account).

    For example :
    CACLS %WINDIR%\assembly /e /t /p MACHINENAME\account:R
    or
    CACLS %WINDIR%\assembly /e /t /p DOMAINNAME\useraccount:R

    It *must* be the account ASP.NET is running as...

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 19, 2006
  5. Hmmm, now that I recall, isn't the GAC on W2K located at c:\winnt\assembly\gac ?

    Where are all your GAC assemblies located ?

    In c:\winnt\assembly

    or in :

    c:\winnt\assembly\gac

    ???

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 23, 2006
  6. DTM

    DTM Guest

    It's located c:\winnt\assembly\gac and I double checked and ASPNET has READ
    access in that directory too.

    DTM, Jun 23, 2006
  7. re:

    Reviewing your original post, you said that :
    > the default user is IWAN

    I think you meant IWAM, right ?

    You need to determine which is the account which ASP.NET is *actually* running as.

    Please save this script as "identity.aspx" and run it.

    identity.aspx :
    --------------
    <%@ Page Language="VB" %>
    <%@ Import NameSpace = System.Security.Principal %>
    <script runat="server">
    Sub Page_Load()
    Dim tmp As String = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()
    Label1.Text = tmp
    End Sub
    </script>
    <head>
    <title>WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()</title>
    </head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <asp:Label ID="Label1" Runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
    </form>

    Then, grant read permissions to whichever account the script returns.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 24, 2006