IIS 5.1 and anonymouse access (php & odbc)

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Terry King, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Terry King

    Terry King Guest

    Can anyone explain the pros and cons of running IIS 5.1 with Anonymous
    access turned off ?

    I am writing a php script which connects to an Access database with ODBC.
    Running on my XP Pro machine at work I set up the IUSR user to have
    read/write access on the database and it all worked great. At home with what
    I thought was the same setup it didn't work and reported :
    Warning: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not
    found and no default driver specified, SQL state IM002 in SQLConnect
    At home I don't have the same security tabs to allow IUSR access, presumably
    because my home machine isn't on a domain ? I don't know. All I know is when
    using Apache it worked and when using IIS 5.1 the only way I could get it to
    work was by deselecting Anonymous access so I'd like to know if this has an
    impact on the security of my computer. Really all I wanted was to run this
    on my home intranet, I doub't whether I'll allow external connections.

    Thanks for any help.
    Terry

    Terry King, Jul 2, 2003