IIS 5 and ASP's will not serve

Billy

IIS 5.0
Windows 2000 sp3 and sp4

Static content serves fine, asps fail, even Hello.asp

Had some feedback in a thread yesterday, here is the
actual error that gets posted to the log:

The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT'.
The error was 'No such interface supported'.

I scanned the knowledgebase and no real answer was found.

Billy

Did that, none of them are specific...i have enabled
script and exe, installed server extentions...nothing

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Sounds like script blocking is enabled in your antivirus software

This would cause a script timeout, and only in pages that use
FileSystemObject or other components deemed dangerous by the norton virus.
I don't think this would cause failure (though we still don't know what
failure means) or timeout of a simple response.write "hello" page.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Whoa, too many meanings for this one. I like this one the best: "There
shall not fail thee a man on the throne."

David D Cowell

Actually it doesn't timeout. You have to be able to start a script for it to
timeout. If I enable script blocking on my XP Pro machine running IIS and
call up an asp page stored there, in a browser on that machine, it just sets
there indefinitly waiting for the script to run. As far as Norton (installed
on that machine) is concerned any .asp page is a dangerous script. If you
are talking about Norton on a different machine accessing that web server,
then any client side scripts wouldn't run, but hello.asp or any other .asp
pge that didn't contain any client side scripts should run ok.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Actually it doesn't timeout. You have to be able to start a script for it

And how does hitting an ASP page not meet the criteria for "start a script"?
call up an asp page stored there, in a browser on that machine, it just sets
there indefinitly waiting for the script to run.

The browser will eventually give up, and time out. And my point still
stands that Norton doesn't block ASP pages in general, but rather only those
parts of the script that call things like Scripting.FileSystemObject. This
is a very popular FAQ article, so much so that I don't even have to look it
up to know the number. http://www.aspfaq.com/2180

David D Cowell

Here again, if you are running Norton Antivirus with script blocking
enabled, on the same machine(server in my case running XP Pro) that IIS is
running on, it will prevent asp from running. If Norton Antivirus with
script blocking is enabled in a workstation accessing IIS on a different
machine(with script blocking disabled) it will load the resulting HTML
generated by the script just fine, because the script is executed on the
server not the workstation. If OP is trying to work on a development machine
(programming and viewing the web site on the same machine), and not a live
environment (client-server) then script blocking would prevent his asp from
executing. And yes the browser will finally timeout, but not a "script
timeout" , but because it did not get a response from the request it sent to
the server.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Here again, if you are running Norton Antivirus with script blocking
enabled, on the same machine(server in my case running XP Pro) that IIS is
running on, it will prevent asp from running.

Once again. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Script blocking will only catch scripts that
try to instantiate objects like Scripting.FileSystemObject.
executing. And yes the browser will finally timeout, but not a "script
timeout"

Now you're just being overly pedantic. I did not mean, explicitly, ASP
0113 - Server.ScriptTimeout exceeded. I meant that the browser would spin
until it gave up.

Is spin an okay word to use there? Or would you like something more
explicit?

David D Cowell

Well I'm not trying to flame you or be narrow minded :) but, I'm setting
here running XP Pro/IIS5.1/Norton AV 2003 on this machine. I use it for
development and testing. If I turn on script blocking and try to access
http://localhost/hello.asp it will not run the script. The browser will
timeout. If I disable script blocking it runs the script just fine. I read
the faq and agree that on a client PC, it will only effect client side
executions. My point was if the origional poster was testing on a similar
setup it will block asp execution.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Well I'm not trying to flame you or be narrow minded :) but, I'm setting
here running XP Pro/IIS5.1/Norton AV 2003 on this machine. I use it for
development and testing. If I turn on script blocking and try to access
http://localhost/hello.asp it will not run the script.

Well, I can't reproduce. I can only get Norton to interfere when the script
has Scripting.FileSystemObject (e.g. CreateTextFile).