    This problem seems to have started since I installed "Security Update for
    Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903)" and
    "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1" on Monday.

    Evan Nelson, Dec 14, 2005

  2. Evan Nelson

    Steven Burn Guest

    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109
    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2476

    The latter refers to IIS6.x but you may be able to glean something from it.

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    "Evan Nelson" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure exactly what happened but my local development server will no
    > longer serve ASP pages. I can request HTML and they are served up fine.
    > When I ask for an ASP I get the generic 500 error. The web log files show
    > nothing more than the 500. I'm used to looking and finding the line in

    the
    > page that the error occurred on as well as the actual ASP error and the
    > description.
    >
    > I looked at my System log and I noticed that there are two events being
    > logged by W3SVC that might have something to do with it. The first is

    Event
    > 47 and the message logged with it is "The server certificate for instance

    '3'
    > does not chain up to a trusted root certificate. ". Then immediately
    > following is an Event 36 and the message says "The server failed to load
    > application '/LM/W3SVC/3/Root'. The error was 'General access denied

    error

    Steven Burn, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Evan Nelson

    Evan Nelson Guest

    Steven,

    Thanks but neither of these articles seems to have much to help. I already
    have IIS set to send detailed messages. The issue is that there is no
    additional info in the IIS log either.

    I had no problems running the server last week. I really think the updates
    I installed Monday either updated a dll and that is causing me problems or
    that a security setting was changed by them.

    Evan

    Evan Nelson, Dec 15, 2005
  4. Evan Nelson wrote:
    > Steven,
    >
    > Thanks but neither of these articles seems to have much to help. I
    > already have IIS set to send detailed messages.

    But have you configured your browser to receive those messages?
    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 15, 2005
  5. Evan Nelson

    Evan Nelson Guest

    I found my answer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842329 Evidently,
    the Visual Studio 6 SP 6 update changes the permissions on a DLL that IIS
    needs to process ASP pages.

    I installed the service pack because I was trying to resolve a different
    issue.

    Maybe MS should update SP download pages with links to bugs they know the SP
    causes!

    Evan Nelson, Dec 15, 2005