iis 5 virtual directory on samba share

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jon wackley, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. jon wackley

    jon wackley Guest

    Hi All,

    Hope that this is the correct group to post this in, I'm quite stuck and
    have tried a great number of things including the MS knowledgebase, google,
    and other resources.

    I created a samba share and pointed an iis virtual directory to it. I
    access the directory by creating a new web project in VB.NET 2003. I create
    a simple aspx page that has only a label on it and I build it. When I
    execute the program I get the following error;

    Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'WebApplication1.Global'.

    From reading a number of posts on google it seems that a number of people
    have got a similar scenario working. As mentioned earlier I followed all
    the suggested details as outlined in knowledgebase articles, i.e. virtual
    directory has the same name as the web project name to name one. Did quite
    a bit of experimentation with no luck. Here are some of the details;

    samba server: suse linux 8.2 with 2.2.8a samba with ext3, acls and
    user_xattr enabled. Can create and modify acls from win2k client no
    problem.

    iis server: on win2k sp4, .net framework 1.1

    Would greatly appreciate assistance.

    Thanks,
    jonw
    jon wackley, Dec 29, 2003

  2. jon wackley

    jon wackley Guest

    Hi,

    Tried test with MS share and the same problem exists. If the assembly is
    entered into the GAC then it works. Seems to be related to the fact that it
    can't find the assembly. There seems to be no way to specify another
    location of the assembly except in a subdirectory, i.e. bin. How does one
    troubleshoot the "Can't load type" form of problems? BTW - there was no
    obvious problem indication from packet capture with ethereal.

    Thanks,
    jonw

    jon wackley, Dec 30, 2003