IIS 6.0 bottleneck when serving ASP pages

Geoff Winsor

Hi,
I just finished migrating our web site to Windows server 2003 from Windows
2000. It consists of a mix of static html and .asp pages that mostly
connect to MS access databases on the back end. Before going live with the
changes, everything worked very well. After going public, IIS 6.0 continues
to serve the static html pages with no problem but chokes on the ASP pages
(however not timing out), even though the web traffic is not high (around 40
or 50 anonymous users at a time). I dont think it is a problem on the back
end since we had that problem once before and made some changes under the
advanced ODBC settings that sped things up. In addition a couple of the .asp
pages only serve html and exhibit the same problem.
Can anyone provide some insight into how this can be optimized.
Thanks,
Geoff

Jeff Cochran

I just finished migrating our web site to Windows server 2003 from Windows
2000. It consists of a mix of static html and .asp pages that mostly
connect to MS access databases on the back end. Before going live with the
changes, everything worked very well. After going public, IIS 6.0 continues
to serve the static html pages with no problem but chokes on the ASP pages
(however not timing out), even though the web traffic is not high (around 40
or 50 anonymous users at a time). I dont think it is a problem on the back
end since we had that problem once before and made some changes under the
advanced ODBC settings that sped things up. In addition a couple of the .asp
pages only serve html and exhibit the same problem.
Can anyone provide some insight into how this can be optimized.

1) Stop using an ODBC connection, use an OLEDB connection instead.

2) Stop using Access. There is a documented Jet bug at this time
anyway, and Access is a bottleneck for most database uses.

3) Optimize code. IIS6 doesn't let you be as sloppy, so make sure
you close connections, destroy objects, have tight code and so on.

4) Try running in a separate process. For a low volume site it
likely will make no difference though.

Jeff