IIS 6.0 does not handle asp.net pages, Please help diagnose

gnewsgroup

We are using IIS 6.0 on a Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with
Service Pack 2. This is not a clean install of Windows Server 2003,
but it was upgraded to from Windows Server 2000.

We are having problem running ASP.NET applications on this server.
HTML pages and classic ASP pages run with no problem.

We use ASP.NET 2.0. We ran aspnet_regiis.exe -ua to remove all
versions of ASP.NET and then aspnet_regiis -i to install it many
times. Each run of aspnet_regiis -i executes nicely with no problem,
at least no Failure message in the installation log, and no warnings
or errors in the event viewer.

In IIS configuration, we created a virtual directory for our ASP.NET
application, and we did select ASP.NET 2.0 on the ASP.NET tag for our
application.

Now, if we try to check out our ASP.NET test page, we always get a 404
error, i.e., Page not found error. But we can check out hello.html or
hello.asp in the same path just fine.

We checked the configuration and verified that aspx files are
associated with the ASP.NET engine C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework
\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll.

Still no warning or error messages were found in the event viewer
after we attempted to check out our web page.

Sounds very weird, right? Any hint?

densial

[...]

yea, have had this a couple of times, security, can't remember exactly
where it is but you need to enable asp.net on your server, it's
disabled by default. it's not in the standard iis config screen it's
off somewhere else, sorry can't be of much more help, it's the weekend
and all :) do a google search on enabling asp.net on a win2003 server

Guest

No, it's not weird at all if you take the time to read the documentation. IIS
6.0 and now IIS 7.0 come locked down to everything except POHTML out of the
box. You need to go into IIS manager and explicitly enable whatever
transports and protocols you want. Take the time to find and read the
documentation and you will be fine.

-- Peter
Recursion: see Recursion
site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com