IIS 6 and ASP.NET security

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Michael Tsai, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Michael Tsai

    Michael Tsai Guest

    Hi,
    It said that IIS 6 use HTTP.sys as the front end for
    handling HTTP request, and pass ASP.NET requests
    to w3wp.exe. So I think this also means security
    settings in IIS (metabase) is bypassed, right?

    Apparently the answer is no, I'ved tried using IIS to set my
    ASP.NET web application's authentication method to basic
    authentication, but my web app's web config still allow
    anonymous access. When I use browser to acces my Web
    app, it asks me to input username and password. So IIS
    metabase is still used, but how? All the information I found
    with Google just show that HTTP.sys directly pass request
    to w3wp.exe, so when/where did IIS metabase be read and
    applied?

    Thanks!

    Michael Tsai

    Michael Tsai, Aug 18, 2005