IIS 6 and permission errors

M

Matt Calhoon

Hi there,

I have a windows 2003 server with a domain aspnet user being defined in IIS6 as the identity for .net to run under. This webserver has allwebsites located on another servers share which I eventually managed to get working by altering security policy settings to fully trust the share location.

I am now getting the following error from some websites:

Access to the path "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\backend\505da58c\4d5fb08" is denied.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\backend\505da58c\4d5fb08" is denied.

This error goes away if I add the IUSR_machinename user to the Temporary ASP.NET folder and give him modify permissions (.net can then create the sub folders it needs). However, I can't see why it needs the IUSR to have permissions when the aforementioned aspnet account has full permissions.

I checked the web.config file of the applications responsible and could find no impersonation settings so it is definately running under aspnet user that I created.

Any help appreciated.

Ask a Question