IIS 6 and permission errors

Matt Calhoon

Hi there,

I have a windows 2003 server with a domain aspnet user being defined in IIS6 as the identity for .net to run under. This webserver has allwebsites located on another servers share which I eventually managed to get working by altering security policy settings to fully trust the share location.

I am now getting the following error from some websites:

Access to the path "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\backend\505da58c\4d5fb08" is denied.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\backend\505da58c\4d5fb08" is denied.

This error goes away if I add the IUSR_machinename user to the Temporary ASP.NET folder and give him modify permissions (.net can then create the sub folders it needs). However, I can't see why it needs the IUSR to have permissions when the aforementioned aspnet account has full permissions.

I checked the web.config file of the applications responsible and could find no impersonation settings so it is definately running under aspnet user that I created.

Any help appreciated.