IIS 7 - Error Messages Not Displayed tho Debugging Options set in

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by race4space, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. race4space

    race4space Guest

    Hi, IIS is not displaying run time errors - the various debugging options
    (Enable Server Side Debugging, Send Errors to Browser) have been set to true
    in the IIS console.

    No Errors are sent to browser and the script stops running at the error.

    This occurs for instance with an Option Explicit error - ie a non
    dimensioned variable is referenced in code with Option Explicit set.

    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <% Option Explicit %>
    <%
    Dim testMe
    testMe = "Hello World!"
    Response.Write "testMy : " & testMy
    Response.End
    %>

    Any comments , please ?

    race4space, Jan 21, 2008

  2. re:
    !>IIS is not displaying run time errors
    !> <%@ Language=VBScript %>

    VBScript is not a server programming language. It's a client-side programming language.

    IIS doesn't even know any error occurred in that script.
    You need to debug VBScript client-side.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 21, 2008

  3. race4space

    race4space Guest

    Re: IIS 7 - Error Messages Not Displayed tho Debugging Options set

    Juan, Thanks for your message. However VBScript is a server programming
    language.

    See this Microsoft site for confirmaiton of this:

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1kw29xwf(VS.85).aspx
    Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition brings active scripting to a wide
    variety of environments, including Web client scripting in Microsoft Internet
    Explorer and Web server scripting in Microsoft Internet Information Service.

    race4space, Jan 21, 2008
  4. race4space

    Ray Costanzo Guest

    Do you have friendly errors turned off in IE?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294807

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo, Jan 21, 2008
  5. race4space

    race4space Guest

    Re: IIS 7 - Error Messages Not Displayed tho Debugging Options set

    I should add this occurs on Windows Vista Business Edition running IIS 7

    race4space, Jan 21, 2008
  6. race4space

    race4space Guest

    Re: IIS 7 - Error Messages Not Displayed tho Debugging Options set

    Hi ! I have "Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages" unticked in IE. In addtion
    the behavior occurs when I view the page in Firefox. This indicates it is not
    a browser issue but an IIS 7 issue. (It is a classic ASP script).

    This post from another person also points to the problem:

    http://forums.iis.net/p/1118833/1741397.aspx

    race4space, Jan 21, 2008
  7. Re: IIS 7 - Error Messages Not Displayed tho Debugging Options set

    What that quote means is that you can use VBScript in ASP/IIS.
    You cannot use it in server-side ASP.NET/IIS.

    That script you wrote will *not* execute server side.
    Believe me. I have co-written several books on ASP and ASP.NET.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 21, 2008
  8. race4space

    Ray Costanzo Guest

    Re: IIS 7 - Error Messages Not Displayed tho Debugging Options set

    Hey Juan. I think maybe he's using a .asp extension and just posted to the
    wrong group. :]

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo, Jan 21, 2008
  9. Re: IIS 7 - Error Messages Not Displayed tho Debugging Options set

    Yup.

    It certainly looks that way. ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 21, 2008
  10. race4space

    Chris Marsh Guest

    Re: IIS 7 - Error Messages Not Displayed tho Debugging Options set

    race4space

    Your code as follows has a typo in it:

    >> > <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    >> > <% Option Explicit %>
    >> > <%
    >> > Dim testMe
    >> > testMe = "Hello World!"
    >> > Response.Write "testMy : " & testMy
    >> > Response.End
    >> > %>

    You reference the variable testMy, but you declared the variable testMe.

    HTH

    --
    Regards

    Chris Marsh

    Chris Marsh, Jan 21, 2008
  11. Re: IIS 7 - Error Messages Not Displayed tho Debugging Options set

    re:
    !> Your code as follows has a typo in it:

    Chris,

    I think that was intentional, to see if an error occurs.

    The error should occur, but it will occur client-side and, unless the code is being debugged
    client-side, the error will never show up and, particularly, it can't show up server-side.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 21, 2008
  12. race4space

    Chris Marsh Guest

    > re:
    > !> Your code as follows has a typo in it:
    >
    > I think that was intentional, to see if an error occurs.
    >
    > The error should occur, but it will occur client-side and, unless the code
    > is being debugged
    > client-side, the error will never show up and, particularly, it can't show
    > up server-side.

    Ah, in that case I misunderstood - apologies. That's what comes of not
    reading the thread thoroughly enough before posting :-(

    --
    Regards

    Chris Marsh

    Chris Marsh, Jan 21, 2008