IIS 7 - Error Messages Not Displayed tho Debugging Options set in

race4space

Hi, IIS is not displaying run time errors - the various debugging options
(Enable Server Side Debugging, Send Errors to Browser) have been set to true
in the IIS console.

No Errors are sent to browser and the script stops running at the error.

This occurs for instance with an Option Explicit error - ie a non
dimensioned variable is referenced in code with Option Explicit set.

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<% Option Explicit %>
<%
Dim testMe
testMe = "Hello World!"
Response.Write "testMy : " & testMy
Response.End
%>

Any comments , please ?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!>IIS is not displaying run time errors
!> <%@ Language=VBScript %>

VBScript is not a server programming language. It's a client-side programming language.

IIS doesn't even know any error occurred in that script.
You need to debug VBScript client-side.

race4space

Juan, Thanks for your message. However VBScript is a server programming
language.

See this Microsoft site for confirmaiton of this:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1kw29xwf(VS.85).aspx
Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition brings active scripting to a wide
variety of environments, including Web client scripting in Microsoft Internet
Explorer and Web server scripting in Microsoft Internet Information Service.

race4space

Hi ! I have "Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages" unticked in IE. In addtion
the behavior occurs when I view the page in Firefox. This indicates it is not
a browser issue but an IIS 7 issue. (It is a classic ASP script).

This post from another person also points to the problem:

http://forums.iis.net/p/1118833/1741397.aspx

Juan T. Llibre

What that quote means is that you can use VBScript in ASP/IIS.
You cannot use it in server-side ASP.NET/IIS.

That script you wrote will *not* execute server side.
Believe me. I have co-written several books on ASP and ASP.NET.

Ray Costanzo

Hey Juan. I think maybe he's using a .asp extension and just posted to the
wrong group. :]

Ray at work

Juan T. Llibre

Yup.

It certainly looks that way. ;-)

Ray Costanzo said:
Hey Juan. I think maybe he's using a .asp extension and just posted to the wrong group. :]

Ray at work

Chris Marsh

race4space

Your code as follows has a typo in it:

You reference the variable testMy, but you declared the variable testMe.

HTH

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Your code as follows has a typo in it:

Chris,

I think that was intentional, to see if an error occurs.

The error should occur, but it will occur client-side and, unless the code is being debugged
client-side, the error will never show up and, particularly, it can't show up server-side.

Chris Marsh

Juan

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
!> Your code as follows has a typo in it:

I think that was intentional, to see if an error occurs.

The error should occur, but it will occur client-side and, unless the code
is being debugged
client-side, the error will never show up and, particularly, it can't show
up server-side.

Ah, in that case I misunderstood - apologies. That's what comes of not
reading the thread thoroughly enough before posting :-(