    My concern is that memory could become an issue if concurrent user activity
    is high. Is this a legitimate concern? Are their settings on the host server
    that should be increased in order to prevent a memory issue?
    Eric, Aug 14, 2008

  2. "Eric" <> wrote in message
    news:Ol9HnPk$...
    > What are the dangers of using session variables in IIS 6.0. My application
    > is servicing about 500 users each of which are authenticated separately

    and
    > have individual characteristics that are stored in cache and session
    > variables.
    >
    > My concern is that memory could become an issue if concurrent user

    activity
    > is high. Is this a legitimate concern? Are their settings on the host

    server
    > that should be increased in order to prevent a memory issue?

    The fact that you use the terms 'cache' and 'session' together suggest that
    your question is related to ASP.NET whereas this NG is for Classic ASP. Use
    m.p.dotnet.framework.aspnet

    That said, its difficult to give a definitive answer without some suggestion
    as to how much memory a single use will require. Cache won't be a problem
    it'll start dropping stuff if demand gets high. Session might be problem
    but really does depend on how much each session costs.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Aug 18, 2008

  3. Eric

    Old Pedant Guest

    "Eric" wrote:

    > What are the dangers of using session variables in IIS 6.0. My application
    > is servicing about 500 users each of which are authenticated separately and
    > have individual characteristics that are stored in cache and session
    > variables.

    Do the math.

    Suppose all 500 users happened to be online simultaneously.

    Suppose your web server has 2GB of memory (even my laptop has that much).

    Suppose you are willing to dedicate 5 megabytes (a drop in the bucket) of
    memory to session variable usage.

    So 5MB/500 is 10KB per user.

    Meaning that is you don't store more than 10KB of information, per user, in
    session variables, you are way way home free.

    Willing to dedicate 50MB to the cause? Now you can have 100KB per user.

    But I'm here to tell you now that if you have 100KB per user, you are doing
    something wrong, anyway. At that point, you should be using a database as
    your "cache" instead of session variables. 2KB or 3KB? Sure.
    *Occasionally* 10KB? Maybe. But 100KB? You have a bad design.
    Old Pedant, Aug 20, 2008