IIS and seting .aspx page as default?

Rob R. Ainscough

I'm having a problem with my web server and application -- I set it up using
XCOPY (done this many times before on other servers) but for some reason
when I navigate to the site it returns a 404. I heard a rumor that for
Win2K3 IIS 6.0 that one has to use an html page as the default (with a
redirect) -- is this correct or should I be looking elsewhere for the
problem?

If I toss in a "under construction" HTML page and set that as the default it
displays correctly when I navigate to it, however, set it back to my aspx
page and it returns 404. (I am using pre-compiled aspx pages, but I've used
them before without a problem).

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rob.

Tasos Vogiatzoglou

In the Documents tab in the virtual directory properties (IIS
Administration) you can set the default document.

Regards,
Tasos

Rob R. Ainscough

Yes I know, done that -- still comes back and not finding it. Still
scratching my head on this one.

Edwin Knoppert

Afaik it's the order it's in the list.

Rob R. Ainscough said:
Yes I know, done that -- still comes back and not finding it. Still
scratching my head on this one.

Rob R. Ainscough

Turned out to be the order in which .NET framework was installed, apparently
before IIS which means no ASP.NET 2.0 web service extensions and hence why
my .aspx pages would not work, but my html pages would.

rob.

Rob R. Ainscough

Turned out to be that .NET framework 2.0 was installed before IIS 6, so the
IIS extensions were not installed and hence IIS couldn't deal with .aspx
pages at all.

thanks for the help, Rob.