    2. The domain Machine name doesnt have a $ on it, so why is it showing that
    way?

    3. Is this some internal naming for a windows account?
    John Barr, Sep 3, 2008

  2. John Barr wrote:
    > We have asp.net

    recommended practice), but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
    ASP.Net is a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be
    lucky enough to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your
    question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to
    a newsgroup where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest

    to help you.

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 3, 2008

  3. "John Barr" <> wrote in message
    > We have asp.net application setup using Windows Authentication. For the
    > website, under directory security the only thing checked is "Windows
    > Authentication". We have the users specified in SQL who have rights to
    > connect...etc. In the Web.Config, it is specified as Integrated
    > Security=true. However, when the user goes to the site, an error message
    > is
    > displayed saying Login attempt failed for (Our Domain Name)\(Our Web
    > Application Server Name)$ . I have a couple of issues here...
    >
    > 1. Why is it attempting to logon with this account?

    Because you haven't specified:-

    <identity impersonate="true" />

    in the <system.web> section.

    The authenticated user is purely a .NET IPrinicple and does not impact the
    security token that the thread runs as.
    In order for an integrated security to pass through to a SQL connection the
    thread needs to impersonate the windows account of the the user. The above
    entry causes that to happen.

    > 2. The domain Machine name doesnt have a $ on it, so why is it showing
    > that
    > way?

    It is a bit strange but it will the machine account that is trying to access
    the SQL server because the default identity on the process will be NETWORK
    SERVICE

    > 3. Is this some internal naming for a windows account?

    Yes but I don't think the $ really means much.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Sep 4, 2008