IIS (asp.net 2.0):: logon failure

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Ed Warren, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. Ed Warren

    Ed Warren Guest

    System WinXp, running IIS, with asp.net 2.0, Visual Studio 2005,
    sqlServerExpress 2005

    I'm trying to install a program that builds a database via IIs. I get the
    following error when it trys to connect to the sql server

    "Login failed for user 'sa'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL
    Server connection"

    I have verified the Sql server instance is in mixed mode.
    I have verified the account 'sa' is active and has a valid password
    (although, I would much rather not have to use it)

    I don't have enough knowledge of IIS to know where to go next to make the
    setting changes needed to install this software.

    Note: the sample VS 2005 remote logon (where one builds a logon page and
    'members only' page works), so I know I can get from IIS to the sqlServer.

    Any help appreciated

    Thanks

    Ed Warren.
    Ed Warren, Nov 18, 2005

  2. Hello Ed,

    are you sure mixed mode is enabled - is the only reason i can think of for
    that error message.

    ---------------------------------------
    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Nov 18, 2005

  3. Ed Warren

    Ed Warren Guest

    Thanks for your rapid response.
    I'm able to connect to the database using the sa logon via the SQL Server
    Management Studio.

    My best guess it is somewhere in the IIS setup, and the way it is trying to
    connect to the database.

    Ed Warren.

    Ed Warren, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Ed Warren

    Paul Clement Guest

    ¤
    ¤ My best guess it is somewhere in the IIS setup, and the way it is trying to
    ¤ connect to the database.

    What does your connection string look like?

    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Paul Clement, Nov 18, 2005
  5. Ed Warren

    Ed Warren Guest

    Ahh, sometimes the simple gets in the way. I found the problem to be which
    instance of the sql server I was trying to connect to. Now all works, and
    it was the disabled sa account at fault.

    Again, thaks to all that offered help

    Ed Warren.

    Ed Warren, Nov 21, 2005