IIS, ASP.Net Development and Norton Internet Security 2005

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by TC, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. TC

    TC Guest

    Hello All,

    I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security 2005
    and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in
    Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
    configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
    tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.

    I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the individual
    was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
    specifics of what they did.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks & Regards,

    Todd

    TC, Dec 4, 2004

  2. TC

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:39:36 -0500, "TC" <>
    wrote:

    >I have recently had the pleasure of installing Norton Internet Security 2005
    >and finding that I can no longer create or open a web-based application in
    >Visual Studio .Net. The IDE just freezes. I tried fiddling with the
    >configuration settings of the Norton Firewall but was not successful. I
    >tried launching IIS from the Control Panel and it would not launch.
    >
    >I saw one article in Groups.Google from a previous post that the individual
    >was eventually able to unravel the mystery but they did not list the
    >specifics of what they did.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Just one. Don't post to so many irrelevant groups. Especially when
    it's a Norton's issue and not related to any of the groups you hit.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Dec 4, 2004

  3. TC

    TC Guest

    Hey Chief,

    Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
    product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.

    Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably be
    interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think ;-)

    TC

    TC, Dec 4, 2004
  4. TC

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:09:56 -0500, "TC" <>
    wrote:

    >Hey Chief,

    I'm not the head of a tribe...

    >Actually, it is related to ALL of the groups I hit if installing a 3rd
    >product affects web development utilizing VS .Net.

    IIS still works fine. It's not related to the dotnet framework.
    There are no IIS security settings you can change to fix this. And no
    amount of ASP.NET security changes will get you working. It's not an
    issue related to any of the groups you posted to.

    It *is* related to Norton's. Uninstall it. If everything works fine,
    it's Norton's that is the problem. And Norton has support.

    >Also, any other developers that have a similar misfortune would probably be
    >interested in the resolution as well... don't ya think ;-)

    Sure. But they wouldn't find the answer here either.

    Oh, and you missed the FrontPage Server Extensions groups. Which are
    closer to being on topic than the others.

    Have you tried Googling the archives?

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Dec 4, 2004
  5. TC

    TC Guest

    Googling was the first thing that I did and I noticed the prior posting.
    Since they did not detail the steps undertaken w/ the Norton application, I
    posted this.

    You're right in that it is a Norton issue but since Norton's archives had 0
    hits, literally, it didn't help. I emailed their support group which will
    take "4-5 business days" for a response. However, it's not purely a Norton
    issue because the "Norton" side of things works fine. It's a compatability
    issue.

    I have already uninstalled the product as I have work to do. Nonetheless,
    it would be great to know the answer to this since others have wrestled with
    the issue as well if they are doing similar development work.

    For what it's worth "they" might actually find the answer "here" as the best
    info I have found so far was a previous posting at:

    microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.security

    and, of course, if I resolve the issue then the answer will most assuredly
    be "here".

    Regards,

    TC, Dec 4, 2004
  6. TC

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    What do *.aspnet.* and *.asp.* have to do with each other - besides the
    "asp"?

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Dec 5, 2004
  7. TC

    TC Guest

    Hey Bob,

    I'm not sure what you're looking for in an answer but I'm sure that both
    interact with IIS from a developer's point of view or from a networking
    point of view.

    How does your question relate to my original question?

    TC, Dec 5, 2004
  8. TC

    Sven Pernils Guest

    My guess is that Norton script blocking functions are blocking VS.Net from
    doing it's job.
    Uncheck script blocking in Norton Antivirus w. comes with Internet security
    and the problem should be solved.

    Sven

    Sven Pernils, Dec 5, 2004
  9. TC

    JerryK Guest

    Norton Internet security prevents a number of apps we have from working.
    Disable it and see what happens.

    JerryK, Dec 9, 2004
  10. TC

    TC Guest

    Hey Folks,

    Thanks for the info.

    Unfortunately, the only thing that has worked so far is an uninstallation.

    I tried turning off script-blocking but that didn't work.

    I then systematically went through and disabled options and features one by
    one and that didn't work.

    Oh well.

    Time to wait for SP1 :-D

    If anyone else has ideas or experience to impart, by all means, please do.

    TC, Dec 10, 2004
  11. I have the same trouble. When I did a Google search this post comes up
    first. I found that when I set Norton Internet Security (NIS) to start
    MANUALLY and then restart the system, I'm able to open web projects
    without trouble (with NIS disabled). Even when NIS is started manually,
    projects open okay... it only seems to be a problem when NIS is set to
    start AUTOMATICALLY on startup. Weird.

    I really haven't found much else on the problem so I opened a problem
    log with Symantec... I'll let you know what I hear.

    MikeE

    Michael England, Dec 16, 2004
  12. TC

    tesis Guest

    Hi all.
    Actually, I faced the same problem while upgrading to NIS2005. It's the
    only thread found, 1st searched on Google. It helped me, and I've found
    that once modified to Manual start, MS IDE activates some of its
    programs to trespass NIS gates, and from that moment on all works well,
    even if NIS start is again switched to "Auto". HTH

    tesis, Sep 29, 2005