IIS / ASP Stops Sending Data to the Browser

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by David Morgan, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. David Morgan

    David Morgan Guest

    Hi

    This is a really weird problem. We have a website that has been running for
    about six months with no problems. We have recently moved it to a new
    server with a new ISP. The server is of a much higher specification as is
    the bandwidth etc. offered by the ISP.

    The move went smoothly although some users are reporting problems with a
    couple of ASPs that return large amounts of HTML e.g. 1181170 bytes (I just
    checked or 13464 bytes on another page). They report, (and I have witnessed
    it myself on a couple of occasions), that the page fails to load. When I
    encountered the problem I viewed the source and could see that about half of
    the HTML had been sent to me. The HTML data is displayed in a table so
    because the </table> had not been received IE did not render any of it.

    Has anyone else experienced a problem of this nature? I am not sure where
    the problem lies although I have to assume that there is something wrong
    with the configuration of the new server as it worked perfectly on the old
    server.

    Regards

    David M

    P.S. Is there a size limit to the resulting output of an ASP?
    David Morgan, Feb 22, 2004

  2. David Morgan

    David Morgan Guest

    This is definately a problem with the server ... HELP!

    Hello All

    I have done some more research on this after Aaron suggested that there
    might be a problem with a recent IE fix that effectively presses the Stop
    button for you.

    I have tried this on several different PCs and they all act this way.
    Interestingly, but not surprisingly, Netscape actually displays the partial
    result set table and stops where the HTML stops despite not having received
    the end table tag.

    I am not sure if I have done this right, but when I right-click properties
    in IE the reported size of the page is 53316 bytes, whilst if I view source
    and save what's there as a text file, the file size is 59353 bytes.

    It would seem like the server is miscalculating the content-length or
    something and then the browser stops requesting data after (+/- a bit), it
    has reached the reported length.

    Any help on this would be gratefully appreciated.

    Regards

    David

    David Morgan, Feb 23, 2004

  3. David Morgan

    David Morgan Guest

    Turn off 'Enable Buffering' and the problem goes away (as does performance!)

    Although I have not fixed this problem I have found that if you uncheck the
    "Enable Buffering" checkbox in the website property pages, the page is
    served and appears as required.

    Unfortunately this also seems to have made a significant effect on the
    performance / display speed of the pages. I leave "Enable Buffering" on
    because I know this can significantly improve performance.

    I am concerned now as this solution is not a solution really but a work
    around which costs my visitors and server an extra headache.

    Does this information give anyone any ideas as to the root of the problem?

    David Morgan, Feb 23, 2004
  4. David Morgan

    David Morgan Guest

    Wrong... problem still there... loosing customers and money like nobody's business now.

    The enable buffering did not fix the problem and it would seem that someone
    else has reported this problem.

    http://tinyurl.com/3apz4

    No fix posted unfortunately, but at least this proves I am not making this
    up.

    Have reinstalled IIS, SP4 etc. but no change.

    David Morgan, Feb 26, 2004
  5. David Morgan

    David Morgan Guest

    Re: Wrong... problem still there... loosing customers and money like nobody's business now.

    When I add Response.Flush to the ASP, before the bit where the results are
    displayed the whole page does download. Does this make any sense to anyone?

    More info on this discussion can be found here, I have this thread going in
    IIS ng too. http://tinyurl.com/ythgt.

    David Morgan, Feb 26, 2004