IIS / ASP Stops Sending Data to the Browser

David Morgan

Hi

This is a really weird problem. We have a website that has been running for
about six months with no problems. We have recently moved it to a new
server with a new ISP. The server is of a much higher specification as is
the bandwidth etc. offered by the ISP.

The move went smoothly although some users are reporting problems with a
couple of ASPs that return large amounts of HTML e.g. 1181170 bytes (I just
checked or 13464 bytes on another page). They report, (and I have witnessed
it myself on a couple of occasions), that the page fails to load. When I
encountered the problem I viewed the source and could see that about half of
the HTML had been sent to me. The HTML data is displayed in a table so
because the </table> had not been received IE did not render any of it.

Has anyone else experienced a problem of this nature? I am not sure where
the problem lies although I have to assume that there is something wrong
with the configuration of the new server as it worked perfectly on the old
server.

Regards

David M

P.S. Is there a size limit to the resulting output of an ASP?

David Morgan

Hello All

I have done some more research on this after Aaron suggested that there
might be a problem with a recent IE fix that effectively presses the Stop
button for you.

I have tried this on several different PCs and they all act this way.
Interestingly, but not surprisingly, Netscape actually displays the partial
result set table and stops where the HTML stops despite not having received
the end table tag.

I am not sure if I have done this right, but when I right-click properties
in IE the reported size of the page is 53316 bytes, whilst if I view source
and save what's there as a text file, the file size is 59353 bytes.

It would seem like the server is miscalculating the content-length or
something and then the browser stops requesting data after (+/- a bit), it
has reached the reported length.

Any help on this would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

David

David Morgan

Although I have not fixed this problem I have found that if you uncheck the
"Enable Buffering" checkbox in the website property pages, the page is
served and appears as required.

Unfortunately this also seems to have made a significant effect on the
performance / display speed of the pages. I leave "Enable Buffering" on
because I know this can significantly improve performance.

I am concerned now as this solution is not a solution really but a work
around which costs my visitors and server an extra headache.

Does this information give anyone any ideas as to the root of the problem?

Regards

David

David Morgan

The enable buffering did not fix the problem and it would seem that someone
else has reported this problem.

http://tinyurl.com/3apz4

No fix posted unfortunately, but at least this proves I am not making this
up.

Have reinstalled IIS, SP4 etc. but no change.

David Morgan

When I add Response.Flush to the ASP, before the bit where the results are
displayed the whole page does download. Does this make any sense to anyone?

More info on this discussion can be found here, I have this thread going in
IIS ng too. http://tinyurl.com/ythgt.