IIS Authentication Methods

amsical

Hi All,

In IIS, One can set Authentication method for accessing a website. (Virtual
folder -> Properties -> Directory Security -> Anonymous access and
authentication control -> Edit -> Authentication Methods).

On Authentication Methods form, there are following four checkboxes:
1. Anonymous Access
2. Digest Authentication
3. Basic Authentication
4. Integrated Windows Authentication

Since these are checkboxes, more than one option can be selected at a time.

My Question:
If user has selected Anonymous Access and Integrated Windows Authentication
checkboxes:
1. Does this mean IIS will use Integrated Windows Authentication and ignore
Anonymous Access method completely? OR
2. Does this mean IIS will first use Integrated Windows Authentication. If
this fails then it will use Anonymous Access method.

What I am interested in is how IIS determines Authentication method when
more than one Authentication/Access method has been selected.

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Ajit

Dominick Baier

it is answer #3 :)

IIS will first try anonymous - and if this fails, start the integarted auth
handshake.