IIS built-in compression

Just D.

Who knows beginning from which version of IIS, 5 or 6 only, and what system
like 2000 Server, 2000 Advanced Server, we can use the built-in compression?
I heard once that it was implemented beginning from Windows 2000 Server and
we could use it but I'm not sure that it's true. Right now we're having
Win2000AdvServer and want to get this feature. But according to this article
we can't use it, but only from IIS 6.0

http://www.wwwcoder.com/main/parentid/170/site/3669/68/default.aspx

Who knows for sure?

Thanks,
Just D.

wwwcoder

Just said:
Who knows beginning from which version of IIS, 5 or 6 only, and what system
like 2000 Server, 2000 Advanced Server, we can use the built-in compression?
I heard once that it was implemented beginning from Windows 2000 Server and
we could use it but I'm not sure that it's true. Right now we're having
Win2000AdvServer and want to get this feature. But according to this article
we can't use it, but only from IIS 6.0

http://www.wwwcoder.com/main/parentid/170/site/3669/68/default.aspx

Who knows for sure?

Thanks,
Just D.

You can compress on Windows 2000, but not via the internal IIS
compression. You can use add ons like httpcompress
(http://www.blowery.org/code/HttpCompressionModule.html). HTTPCompress
is an http module for ASP.NET, you basically define it within your
web.config. The one drawback however, since it is an http module, it
will only compress files processed by the CLR. It will not compress ASP
pages just aspx, etc. HTTPCompress is free and is what I use on
WWWCoder.com for compressing content. Using a third party module allows
you to compress based on mime type, and folder, something IIS
compression does not support.

There are several commercial modules available, but I like httpcompress
since it is free and you get the source code.

Patrick Santry
http://www.wwwcoder.com

Just D.

Thanks a lot,

Yes, I know about commercial modules, but I didn't hear about this
compressor, thanks, it will be interesting.

I also found many articles including MSDN article about compression in IIS
5.0, but actually I could not find anything for me My version if IIS
doesn't have these tabs in settings and I'm just wondering why Microsoft
provided wrong or not full information about this topic.

Take a look.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...gies/iis/maintain/featusability/httpcomp.mspx

That's strange. I suspect that they forgot to write that this compression is
added to Server and Advanced server version only and write about ANY IIS
5.0, but that's not true.

Just D.

wwwcoder

I see the settings, if you right click on the top most node "Internet
Information Services", and select properties. This will bring up a
dialog, in the Master Properties section select the "WWW Services" from
the drop down and click on the Edit button. This will bring up the
compression dialog. As far as how effective or how well it works, I
don't know I never used it.

Juan T. Llibre

Which part of the article did you get that impression from ?

"ASPNetCompressTemp" would seem to indicate
that compression *does* work with aspx pages.

Sure, there is "some CPU overhead used on every
page request for dynamic content", but the compression
bandwidth savings are still there.

wwwcoder

That's your problem, your using a Workstation OS, you need to use a
server based OS.

Just D.

Ups,

I hope you're right, because I've seen that in a previous version of this
article, maybe it was finally fixed.

Just D.

Just D.

Yes,

That's what I was starting with. M$ doesn't explain that in articles. The
main difference between Home and Pro edition is IIS, but this "Pro" IIS
doesn't include compression. The maximum that I could get was that: I assume
that I can add that manually because everything in Windows is confugurable,
we just need to know the way.

http://members.cox.net/dshvetsov/5.jpg

Just D.