IIS configuration problems with quickstart samples

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Abhishek Srivastava, Jan 1, 2004.

  1. Hello All,

    I have installed the quick start samples that come along with .net sdk.
    I am facing some strange behavior on my machine. I would be gratefull if
    someone could explain what is going on.

    If I type http://15.76.221.178/quickstart in my browser I get an error
    message you are not authorized to view this page.

    If I type http://localhost/quickstart. by browser automatically goes to
    http://15.76.221.178/ that is my home page.

    If I type http://127.0.0.1/quickstart. Everything works fine and I go
    into the quickstart home page.

    Why are the other 2 options not working correctly. Why is it that the IP
    address of the machine gives me a authorization problem and why does the
    localhost not work at all?

    I use a domain account to log on to my machine and I am in the
    administrator group of this local machine.

    I would appriciate any help in this regard.

    regards,
    Abhishek.

    Abhishek Srivastava, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Abhishek Srivastava

    Dhaval Faria Guest

    This error is coming because when you type http://localhost in your browser,
    IIS automatically authenticates you, but when you type http://15.76.221.178
    in your browser, IIS doesnt authenticates you, as IIS gets that you are an
    external surfer. so for that you need to authenticate yourself before
    viewing the web site.. but when user visits the web site, all users doesnt
    know the username and password, so you have to give anonymous access to
    quickstart folder. for that open a folder quickstart from Windows Explorer
    or My Computer, and then right click on that folder, select properties,
    click on security tab in properties dialog box, and then click on Add button
    click on Advanced button, then click on Find Now buttong and then from the
    list select IUSR_MACHINENAME and click on OK button, then click on Ok button
    again close the properties dialog box by clicking on OK button, this will
    allow IIS allows anonymous access, and anonymous access is having very low
    previllages.

    Hope this helps you.

    --
    Dhaval Faria