IIS Crashing

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jeff Dillon, May 25, 2004.

  1. Jeff Dillon

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    We have an ASP application that restarts several times a day, and users lose
    their session information and have to log back in.

    In the Event Log, I see the following entries:

    Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.0, faulting module unknown,
    version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

    and

    A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated unexpectedly.
    The process id was '484'. The process exit code was '0xc0000005'.

    May I assume that these types of errors are generally caused by a
    misbehaving 3rd party component created via Server.CreateObject? We use a
    few such objects, such as SAFileUp.

    What is the best way to debug such problems? We'd rather not pay to send
    trace files to MS for debugging. I'm thinking about "instrumenting" suspect
    asp pages, and put in database logging with timing info, so we can relate a
    page hit to an event log error. Other ideas/tools?

    This is standard ASP on Windows 2003 Server.

    thx

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, May 25, 2004

  2. Jeff Dillon

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Use IISState:
    http://www.iisfaq.com/default.aspx?view=P197

    (currently IISFaq site is down for maintenance, so you'll have to get this
    tool later)

    Cheers
    Ken

    :

    Ken Schaefer, May 26, 2004

  3. Jeff Dillon

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    I don't think this will work. When a worker process crashes, IIS restarts,
    so I lose the state.

    IISState just does a dump of the current state, not the state IIS was in
    when the problem occurred.

    Are you saying I run IISState all the time? Does it "monitor" activity, or
    just take a snapshot?

    How do I tell which object caused the worker process to fail "after the
    fact"?

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, May 26, 2004
  4. Jeff Dillon

    Rodd Snook Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:19:44 -0700, Jeff Dillon wrote:

    > We have an ASP application that restarts several times a day, and users lose
    > their session information and have to log back in.
    >
    > In the Event Log, I see the following entries:
    >
    > Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.0, faulting module unknown,
    > version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
    >
    > and
    >
    > A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated unexpectedly.
    > The process id was '484'. The process exit code was '0xc0000005'.
    >
    > May I assume that these types of errors are generally caused by a
    > misbehaving 3rd party component created via Server.CreateObject? We use a
    > few such objects, such as SAFileUp.
    >
    > What is the best way to debug such problems? We'd rather not pay to send
    > trace files to MS for debugging. I'm thinking about "instrumenting" suspect
    > asp pages, and put in database logging with timing info, so we can relate a
    > page hit to an event log error. Other ideas/tools?
    >
    > This is standard ASP on Windows 2003 Server.

    Can the components you have be configured to run in server mode, i.e.
    outside the IIS process? If they can, and you do it, then you should be
    able to nail the component (or IIS itself) by looking at which DLLHOST
    process it is that fails.

    Rodd

    Rodd Snook, May 27, 2004
  5. Jeff Dillon

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Hunt down a copy of IIS Exception Monitor
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dniis/html
    /ixcptmon.asp). This will produce a debugger trace that can show what DLLs
    are executing when an exception occurs. If you have a debug version of your
    components with symbol tables it can event give you the line that failed.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, May 28, 2004
  6. Jeff Dillon

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    I can't locate a download location

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, May 29, 2004
  7. Jeff Dillon

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Jeff,

    I'll send you a link to our copy off-forum. Keep in mind that it was
    intended for use with Win NT or 2000. I don't know of any reason it wouldn't
    work on 2003 but I would take the usual precautions (backups, verify that
    you have all software needed to rebuild the server, etc) before using it.
    There may be a reason that MS doesn't have it available.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Jun 1, 2004